camo tape

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkeater

Reaction score
I'm gonna give turkey hunting a go for the first time. I have a 1931 Long Range 12g Ithaca s x s, full and full. If I wrap the barrel forward of the forearm it will cover the rib and the bottom portion of the bead won't be seen. Please advise if the wrap is necessary.

Camo helps but isn’t really needed on the gun. They will see movement before they make out the gun, Camo or not. I’ve killed lots of turkeys wearing Camo and several wearing old blue jeans and a flannel shirts. Staying still when they’re coming in is more important.

s
I'm gonna give turkey hunting a go for the first time. I have a 1931 Long Range 12g Ithaca s x s, full and full. If I wrap the barrel forward of the forearm it will cover the rib and the bottom portion of the bead won't be seen. Please advise if the wrap is necessary.
Nice side-by-side !
I've taped my turkey-duster (12g-3" mag. Remington 1100, 30" full ) in the past... but never covered-over the vent-rib, nor any part of the front sight with tape. I would simply run the tale parallel along the barrel.
I don't get overly-concerned with camouflage for turkey hunting like I do bowhunting for deer. Given the range I have with my 30" full, I just need to be ready to pull the trigger...and that means avoiding motion like MattRaymond said. I no longer bother taping my shotgun as have taken my share of turkeys without it.

Thanks guys, no gun camo it is. I have some calls. Please recommend a decoy.

Lot’s of good decoys out there. I think knowing how to use them is as if not more important than a particular brand. That being said I’ve been using AvianX for several years & like them. I also use Montana decoys when I’m running & gunning.

Turkey’s can seem DUMBER than a Post, But in actuality they are INCREDIBLY Smart. I have killed LOTS of Nice Gobblers. I do wear Camo, But I have found the Face Mask to be the Most important part, if they can See your Face? GAME OVER, you are BUSTED! As for the Gun? I don’t worry about it.

Yes, being still is very important. I've had them come up quite close to me while I just sat there with my back to a tree. I have some decoys and don't think they have to be that good to work. A jake once came right up to a "decoy" I made from a stick and a black trash bag.

Nice side-by-side !
I've taped my turkey-duster (12g-3" mag. Remington 1100, 30" full ) in the past... but never covered-over the vent-rib, nor any part of the front sight with tape. I would simply run the tale parallel along the barrel.
I don't get overly-concerned with camouflage for turkey hunting like I do bowhunting for deer. Given the range I have with my 30" full, I just need to be ready to pull the trigger...and that means avoiding motion like MattRaymond said. I no longer bother taping my shotgun as have taken my share of turkeys without it.
Ya know, for centuries nobody, male or female or combo, wore camo and did a great job of getting their game. Camo is more for the human aspect of staying undetected. We hunt in whatever is available including jean, carhartts, and sometimes 1840 period clothes....always got our fill if the game was there. Movement is the most important thing and sometimes even that doesn't factor in.

During an evening deer hunt a few years ago I was sitting in the woods when a line of turkeys solemnly walked across in front of me like a line of monks in a monastery. I had no cover, was sitting in a chair yet they paid me no attention. I let them alone as the season wasn't in.

Turkeys can be both dumb and smart. Always suspicious, they have excellent vison- especially keyed on motion- and hearing. It's a good thing they don't have much of a sense of smell! I've noted they seem less suspicious when moving as a group to water in the hour before dusk.

This season I will go after gobblers with 20 gauge Caywood Wilson Chief's Gun. Figure I will have to get bird within 35 yards. Load will be 60 grns of 2F, two over powder wads, 1 1/8 oz copper plated #6 and an over shot wad. No cushion wad between over powder wad and shot charge. Test shooting at blank pieces of newsprint at 30 yards showed consistently better patterns when the cushion wad was omitted.

I agree with most. I wear a camo shirt and a camo bandana over my nose and some camo paint above that. I shoot a 20 gauge O/U Browning White Lighting with #5 copper. Make sure you get your gun up right away so there's no movement. FP

The best way to hunt a turkey: Cover yourself with feathers, have a red bandana hang from your neck or a string of red banana peppers, a waffle cone attached to your nose and then gobble. To get a turkey you have to be the turkey.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Elkeater, I've been hunting turkeys in the spring for about 27years. I absolutely love it. I hunt spring gobblers in two different states (Connecticut and Maine). Success depends on a number of factors includng the number of birds present and more importantly hunting pressure. I agree with most others in that limiting your movement is the most critical especially when birds are approaching your position and trying to locate the calling hen. In situations with heavy hunting pressure camo is very important in my opinion. My turkey shotgun is painted with flat camo paints in an attempt to reduce as much glare as possible. On pressured birds decoys can even spook birds so keep that in mind. Good luck and most importantly BE SAFE. Spring turkey hunting is statistically one of the most dangerous forms of hunting.

Found these tips for safe turkey hunting here Realtree Turkey-Hunting Safety Tips

BASIC FIREARMS SAFETY

A simple document called “Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety” is often packed with new guns and distributed in hunter safety courses. It is the “Bible” of good gun handling and safety practices. Turkey hunters should pay particular attention to Commandment No. 4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it before you pull the trigger.
It seems ridiculous to think that a human being could be mistaken for a turkey. However, that is the leading cause of turkey hunting accidents. Don’t make a target of yourself.
NEVER TRY TO STALK A TURKEY
Given a gobbler’s keen eyesight and wary disposition, stalking offers low odds for success and exposes the stalker to considerable danger. If it becomes necessary to change calling position, do so with caution. If possible, use established trails or woods roads and move briskly in an upright human posture. Don’t sneak through shrubbery tempting other hunters to think you are a turkey rather than a hunter.
AVOID THE COLORS OF RED, WHITE, AND BLUE
Not only are these the colors of a gobbler’s head, the gobbler’s head is also the preferred target for an effective shot. Uncovered skin and white tee shirts are prime offenders, but sock tops or long underwear exposed if your pants ride up, and red or blue handkerchiefs are also potential problems.
SIT AGAINST A TREE OR ROCK
This provides a shot-proof barrier covering your entire back and with a view 180 degrees to your front. While this is not always possible, in most circumstances you can find a set-up spot that provides you with protection.
ASSUME EVERY SOUND IS A HUNTER
Turkeys and humans sound quite similar walking in the leaves, and thanks to modern turkey call technology, the average hunter does not have to be a contest champion to call like a turkey. If you see someone approaching, sit still and speak loudly. If you are set up and calling and see someone approaching your position, do not assume that he sees you as another turkey hunter. Modern camouflage is incredibly good.
DO NOT SIGNAL WITH YOUR TURKEY CALL
Such sound or movement could cause you to be mistaken for a turkey. If you elect to gobble, be extremely cautious. Calling like a gobbler is sometimes an effective hunting tactic, but using a gobbler call can also attract other hunters.
In a sense, you are making yourself the target of other hunters’ attention.
NEVER SHOOT AT SOUND OR MOVEMENT
Always be sure of your target before pulling the trigger. (Bill Konway photo)

Be 100 percent sure of your target before you pull the trigger. Remember Commandment No. 4. You can never call your shot back.

DECOY SAFETY

Like the use of a gobbler call, decoys are effective...but can put the user at potential risk. Obviously, if a decoy can fool a sharp-eyed gobbler, it can fool another hunter. More than one decoy has drawn fire from an intruder into the decoy user’s hunting area.

Hunters should observe rigorous safety practices when using decoys. Always carry a decoy covered in the cargo bag of your vest. Never give in to the temptation to carry an exposed turkey decoy “just a few yards” while hunting. Don’t place the decoy too close to your position. Always place the decoy so that you have a good view past the decoy in a direct line from your position.

SPORTSMANSHIP, ETHICS, AND SAFETY

Perhaps we should redefine our contemporary concept of turkey hunting success and brush up on our ethics and sportsmanship in the interest of safety. Are we too competitive? Will we leave the early bird to his worm when we discover another hunter’s vehicle already parked at “our” hunting spot? Will we break off and slip away if we discover another hunter working a gobbling turkey? Ethics, sportsmanship, and safety considerations provide us with the answers and should be recognized as integral parts of safe hunting.

Go here for more Realtree turkey hunting tips.

You just made every hunter safety Instructor in every state, cringe with that advise. Why not just dress your grandchildren as turkeys and let them run loose out in front of you? A ghillie suit and sitting still is your best bet. Always avoid blue and red. Practice, practice, practice your calling skills. And I had to laugh when I read the part about the cone on the nose.

Elkeater, I've been hunting turkeys in the spring for about 27years. I absolutely love it. I hunt spring gobblers in two different states (Connecticut and Maine). Success depends on a number of factors includng the number of birds present and more importantly hunting pressure. I agree with most others in that limiting your movement is the most critical especially when birds are approaching your position and trying to locate the calling hen. In situations with heavy hunting pressure camo is very important in my opinion. My turkey shotgun is painted with flat camo paints in an attempt to reduce as much glare as possible. On pressured birds decoys can even spook birds so keep that in mind. Good luck and most importantly BE SAFE. Spring turkey hunting is statistically one of the most dangerous forms of hunting.

Found these tips for safe turkey hunting here Realtree Turkey-Hunting Safety Tips

BASIC FIREARMS SAFETY

A simple document called “Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety” is often packed with new guns and distributed in hunter safety courses. It is the “Bible” of good gun handling and safety practices. Turkey hunters should pay particular attention to Commandment No. 4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it before you pull the trigger.
It seems ridiculous to think that a human being could be mistaken for a turkey. However, that is the leading cause of turkey hunting accidents. Don’t make a target of yourself.
NEVER TRY TO STALK A TURKEY
Given a gobbler’s keen eyesight and wary disposition, stalking offers low odds for success and exposes the stalker to considerable danger. If it becomes necessary to change calling position, do so with caution. If possible, use established trails or woods roads and move briskly in an upright human posture. Don’t sneak through shrubbery tempting other hunters to think you are a turkey rather than a hunter.
AVOID THE COLORS OF RED, WHITE, AND BLUE
Not only are these the colors of a gobbler’s head, the gobbler’s head is also the preferred target for an effective shot. Uncovered skin and white tee shirts are prime offenders, but sock tops or long underwear exposed if your pants ride up, and red or blue handkerchiefs are also potential problems.
SIT AGAINST A TREE OR ROCK
This provides a shot-proof barrier covering your entire back and with a view 180 degrees to your front. While this is not always possible, in most circumstances you can find a set-up spot that provides you with protection.
ASSUME EVERY SOUND IS A HUNTER
Turkeys and humans sound quite similar walking in the leaves, and thanks to modern turkey call technology, the average hunter does not have to be a contest champion to call like a turkey. If you see someone approaching, sit still and speak loudly. If you are set up and calling and see someone approaching your position, do not assume that he sees you as another turkey hunter. Modern camouflage is incredibly good.
DO NOT SIGNAL WITH YOUR TURKEY CALL
Such sound or movement could cause you to be mistaken for a turkey. If you elect to gobble, be extremely cautious. Calling like a gobbler is sometimes an effective hunting tactic, but using a gobbler call can also attract other hunters.
In a sense, you are making yourself the target of other hunters’ attention.
NEVER SHOOT AT SOUND OR MOVEMENT

Be 100 percent sure of your target before you pull the trigger. Remember Commandment No. 4. You can never call your shot back.

DECOY SAFETY

Like the use of a gobbler call, decoys are effective...but can put the user at potential risk. Obviously, if a decoy can fool a sharp-eyed gobbler, it can fool another hunter. More than one decoy has drawn fire from an intruder into the decoy user’s hunting area.

Hunters should observe rigorous safety practices when using decoys. Always carry a decoy covered in the cargo bag of your vest. Never give in to the temptation to carry an exposed turkey decoy “just a few yards” while hunting. Don’t place the decoy too close to your position. Always place the decoy so that you have a good view past the decoy in a direct line from your position.

SPORTSMANSHIP, ETHICS, AND SAFETY

Perhaps we should redefine our contemporary concept of turkey hunting success and brush up on our ethics and sportsmanship in the interest of safety. Are we too competitive? Will we leave the early bird to his worm when we discover another hunter’s vehicle already parked at “our” hunting spot? Will we break off and slip away if we discover another hunter working a gobbling turkey? Ethics, sportsmanship, and safety considerations provide us with the answers and should be recognized as integral parts of safe hunting.

Go here for more Realtree turkey hunting tips.
I worry more about my personal safety when spring turkey🦃 hunting than anything else I hunt. If I pull-up into my parking spot under darkness 🌑 and find more vehicles than I would like... I simply leave and go to a less crowded area. I'll leave also out of respect not to interfere with the hunters who have already planned their hunt ahead of me.

Latest posts

Back