Barnes one more time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
went to the range [1] T/C ENCORE .50 cal ..bullets .250 gr. ...[2] powder T7 PELLETS 100gr. [3]shots were made at 100yds.. into 5 gallon pail filled with water ,1" rubber foam a 1"board ..and tightly packed catalogues . bullets almost went through.. these test were made at 100yds. picture is dark because one sabot is not black but blue ,the other one is orange .

Looks good to me! I had pretty much the same results when I tested the T-EZ's on a 5-gallon plastic bucket packed with wet magazines. I did have to use a low powder charge though or else it would blow right through.

i posted the pics. to show the difference between the 2 bullets . the blue nylon tipped SPIT-FIRE TMZ does not mushroom as much as the EXPANDER MZ ...but it penetrates much deeper ,...i won't test the BARNES again because the end results would be the same ..i know we have a lot of other bullets on the market and that is fine with me ..use the bullet of ur choice for hunting and enjoy the art of MUZZELOADING ..

i am still undecided if i will go with my ML or my WSM on my caribou hunt

black powder said:
i am still undecided if i will go with my ML or my WSM on my caribou hunt

Now that's a problem I wish I had!!

Don't forget the Barnes 245, 285 Spitzer Boat Tails. They mushroom just like the MZ Expander but have a better BC.

spit patch the Boat Tails are not as accurate as the flat bottom barnes in my ENCORE ..

black powder said:
spit patch the Boat Tails are not as accurate as the flat bottom barnes in my ENCORE ..

I've found that with my rifle too.

barnes bullets

I know this is a ML forum, but I gotta ask while you guys brought it up.(Blackpowder & SWT)

I also have a Browning Stalker in .300 WSM w/boss. And I also found that @ 100 yards I have a lot more accuracy with my .300WSM using flat based bullets rather than Boat tails. BUT....my shots are limited to about 150 yards ar most. All my deer have been shot at 85 yards or less with this rifle. With a Howa .270, I shot 140 gr. boat tails for years. When I got the .300wsm I tried Hornady 165 gr. flat base & BT bullets, the flat based were much more accurate(my loads were 54.0 grs. IMR-4350).
Don't ask the BOSS setting, I'd have to look it up. Thank you for your time.
Art Sehnke

Re: barnes bullets

art sehnke said:
I know this is a ML forum, but I gotta ask while you guys brought it up.(Blackpowder & SWT)

I also have a Browning Stalker in .300 WSM w/boss. And I also found that @ 100 yards I have a lot more accuracy with my .300WSM using flat based bullets rather than Boat tails. BUT....my shots are limited to about 150 yards ar most. All my deer have been shot at 85 yards or less with this rifle. With a Howa .270, I shot 140 gr. boat tails for years. When I got the .300wsm I tried Hornady 165 gr. flat base & BT bullets, the flat based were much more accurate(my loads were 54.0 grs. IMR-4350).
Don't ask the BOSS setting, I'd have to look it up. Thank you for your time.
Art Sehnke

don't compare a ML. with a CENTER-FIRE ..the ML uses a plastic sabot to propel the bullet .from personel experience i have noticed on the range shooting into paper targets at a distance of 100yds [ all of my tests are done at 100 yds. ] the flat base bullet is more accurate because when the powder ignites the sabot takes the form of the bullet ..if you look at a boat-tail bullet it does not cover the bottom of the sabot completly..

as for the BOSS on your .300wsm you must find the "sweet spot" to tune in the bullet for the barrel . my "sweet spot" is dialed in at .1 and at 200 yds all of the bullet are in a 1" circle ..i shoot the WINCHESTER SUPREME .180 GR. ACCUBOND bullet ..i tried the WINCHESTER XP3 .150 gr. for more velocity but accuracy dropped ,my rifle does not like the .150 gr bullet ..

I can't put it any better than black powder did. The only thing I could add is maybe the boattails are more accurate a longer distances.

I reload to, it took me a lot of effort, a lot more than it takes to get flat base bullets to shoot good but when you find the right powder and load they will shoot. Lee

I had good luck shooting them out of my Encore as well as my Knights.
They are the bullet used by Knight service department, for accuracy testing of barrels.

Latest posts

Back