Pushing a GMB in a "Traditional" rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
While the barrel is on a traditional rifle, there is nothing really traditional about this rifle other then the ignition.

fasttwisttraditional008.jpg

The rifle is a T/C Renegade but the barrel is a stainless steel Green Mountain Barrel with a 1-28 twist. Same thing basically as you'd find on a Knight rifle. The scope is a $49.99 Traditions illuminated 1.5-6x40 mm with some Traditions quick release rights. It works very good actually. And in low light, you can turn on a switch and the cross hairs glow red.

The load I was shooting was 110 grains of Pyrodex RS. RWS caps, and a 300 grain .44 caliber Hornady XTP in a green Harvester Crushed Rib sabot.

fasttwisttraditional004.jpg

It was 74 degrees today. As the barrel heated up, the group began to move up and right. I was swabbing with alcohol ever second or third shot sometimes. I was kind of pleased. Then to prove the heat was causing this group, I let the barrel and myself cool down. I swabbed it clean, adjusted my POA lower and shot for the center of the target. Not to bad. The scope does need some adjustment.

fasttwisttraditional009.jpg

I then swabbed the barrel clean with some Rusty Duck Black Off and let the barrel cool for fifteen minutes. I shot a couple other rifles in the mean time. I then wanted to see how hard I could push a Barnes MZ Expander. I figured in loose powder about 125 grains of loose (as much as my measure would allow) should equal three pellets. So I loaded 125 grains of Pyrodex and a 250 grain Barnes. The first three are real good, then as the barrel heats up, the group moves up and right..

That Barnes load would really pack a punch. The rifle and scope behaved perfectly. This was only 50 yards for all shooting, so its not a big deal, but where I live.. this is a long shot.

renny

nice job. That's funny how it starts going to the right w/ heat. I would think it would put bullets everywhere as it heats up, not together and pattern right. Why that way and not all over?

I was kind of shocked at how fast that barrel heated up. I mean these are big heavy, lot of steel, barrels. But if you shot fast, you could feel the heat building with the palm of your hand.

Back