Busy week with the prairie wolves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got a few days of thaw on the line. These 5 ( put up and sold last week, avg 75.00) plus the three shown put up and one more yesterday. A few starting to rub little and 6 discarded due to mange. Total body count is 18 processed and 6 left laying. 24 not a bad number considering the conditions this year , accessibility difficulty, prices dropping due to the covid -19 social media hysteria. Funny the cat prices are stable. Sold three dogs for a $100.00 up front each and tanning cost will be paid by the buyer when they return from Moyles' tannery. Just going to call now, all sets set off or pulled up except for the badger boxes since they prime late and It lasts longer. Here's hoping you had a good season. sold my sled two years ago, middle 70s slowing me down a little but I'll never lose the passion!

Attachments

• P2280007.JPG
    P2280007.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P2280002.JPG
    P2280002.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 22
  • P2150002.JPG
    P2150002.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for sharing your season with the forum Mossie.👍 Having trapped in the past I really enjoy hearing first-hand from today's trappers like yourself. Most have no idea what goes-on "behind-the scenes" when it comes to catching and preparing pelts for the buyers.

BTW...what do you mean by " rub little "?...shedding??

Thanks for sharing your season with the forum Mossie.👍 Having trapped in the past I really enjoy hearing first-hand from today's trappers like yourself. Most have no idea what goes-on "behind-the scenes" when it comes to catching and preparing pelts for the buyers.

BTW...what do you mean by " rub little "?...shedding??
When breeding season starts the coyotes begin to rub off the winter guard hairs so it's not shedding in the true sense. They start around the hips and work forward. This is also caused by sitting on frozen ground then standing up pulling out the longest guard hairs. The head and legs are the first to turn blue on the leather side signaling coming out of prime. I think when the winter underfur begins to loosen it's actually shedding. Contrary to popular belief this starts with the Lunars ( lengthening of days) no matter the temps. This is what I believe however I have been mislead and misspoken before LOL

Last edited:
One dog and one ***** 'yote, starting to get territorial. Man these pics make me look like a little fat man. Yes I'm overweight but still 6' 2". Gravity is starting to have it's way and many of my clothes have contracted "closet shrink" 2 more left lay with mange. I see them more often later in the day 'cause without much fur they tend for the temps to warm up before hunting. Our temps are climbing dramatically for all of this week, days are getting longer and the breeding season is on. Not many good pelts will be seen afore long. Hate the time change, just leave it be!

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    657.1 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    657.1 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like the trapping season is winding-down.
What will you need to routinely do from here-on to be ready for the next trapping season...i.e., boil your traps?

Yes Marty I'll boil, then in the fall I'll reboil and wax with sagebrush in the big pot. I'll still be trapping for badgers up till 1st of May and be taking spring nuisance beaver with ice out. Also make up some more waxed dirt to use after freezeup. I'll still be riding that new $160,000 Toro fairway mower this summer at the Old Baldy Club golf course. Who can afford to retire ?? Not me, too many bad habits, Guns, cars, trucks and a occasional beer etc. My bride doesn't share the same passion I have for my hobbies! So I have to make outside money to sustain my addictions. PS just put one more big female yote on the stretcher, welfare dog from a friend, gotta love it!

I assume the waxed dirt is to prevent trap freeze. How do you prepare it and how much do you need to prepare?

I assume the waxed dirt is to prevent trap freeze. How do you prepare it and how much do you need to prepare?
I use ant hill micro-gravel. Spread it out on a piece of plywood in the back and on the tailgate of my truck in hot summer weather, sprinkle flaked wax over it , cover it with a piece of canvas, stir it occasionally. Also have done it in a alum turkey roaster pan with another one inverted AKA oven, but a lot slower because of the reduced volume size per batch. I try to start out with 5 gal pail full each season, a lot better on your traps than a salt preparation. Didn't use it when I started in Oct, then got hit with a early deep snow and low temps that never went away. Never assume, my bad and it cost me.

Latest posts

Back