Question on leaving ML loaded

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lame

Reaction score
I have a T/C Triumph that I loaded with three Triple 7 50/50 pellets and a shockwave sabot for a deer hunt on Thursday. Since I didn't see a deer the gun is still loaded, minus the primer. I'm going hunting again next Friday & Saturday and was wondering if It would hurt to leave the gun loaded or if I should unload tnen reload with fresh pellets on Friday. The gun will remain in a soft padded case during the interim.

:?: :?: :?:

I can only give you my opinion here :!: :!: If I was going hunting the next day in the same area I would leave the gun loader say over night. I would not leave it for any lenght of time then transport it a few days later and continue to hunt even though you had it in a padded case. A FEW THINGS CAN HAPPEN THAT COULD SCREW UP YOU SHOT AT THE MONSTER BUCK.........
1...FORGETTING IT'S ALREADY LOADED AND THEN YOU RELOAD IT AGAIN :!:
2...MOISTURE MIGHT EFFECT THAT POWDER AND YOU GET A MISS FIRE OR HANG FIRE :!:
3...I JUST DON'T THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA :!: :!: :!:

Just my opinion :!: :!: :!:

The load itself would be ok, only if you are positive there is no chance of condensation. I know when it's as cold around here as it has been this past week, the gun wouldn't make it in the house without drawing moister.

Loaded

not w/ T7 I wouldn't. BH209 I would not hesitate! Put a used primer in the flash hole, some people even kee a couple and paint them w/ red nail polish to a;lert them they are used.

I appreciate the advice. I'm going to unload it; which brings me to another question. How do I dispose of the pellets?

Step on em out side, an give em a scuff with your boot. Harmless.

I loaded my White S91 last tuesday, hunted tues/wed. and left it in the truck till yesterday, hunted till dark. Didn't take a 200 yd shot and decided to see if the gun would shoot after being in 20 to 0 cold weather.
It went off just fine, no hang fire. Once the gun gets cold it has to stay in simular temps or like said condensation will kill the load.

Lame

I hardly ever unload my ML after a hunt. I have left them in a month at a time - in and out of the house. They real thing to remember is never bring a cold cold gun into a warm environment - that will get you - going to from warm to cold does not create the moisture many think... I think gunrac has given you the right advice...

The load itself would be ok, only if you are positive there is no chance of condensation. I know when it's as cold around here as it has been this past week, the gun wouldn't make it in the house without drawing moister.

If you feel confident hat you have protected your load as indicated by gunrac - it will be OK...

Couple years back I tried to somewhat screw up a load in a Remington in fact I tried a couple times...

If you have time look at this thread....

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-powde ... -test.html

But always remeber it is truly safer to be sure...

Back