Very Consistent!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Will be out at the NRA during the weekend. We just got back from trying a new load in the 06 Apex and its perfect. Flat shooting out to 300 yards.

But for the Optima i felt like blowing off some Powerbelts so i loaded up the tubes with 100gr BH209 and the 245gr Powerbelt. First shot is the shot on the far right.

The next 6 are on the left. This was 100 yards.
NRAshooting008.jpg

NRAshooting006.jpg

Its supposed to snow tonight
:evil: so i am not sure if i will be able to do 200 yards just yet!

Nice shooting FG beautiful group.
The Optima looks like a winner for CVA.
For hunting I found 100g to be a little much for the 245 but I did find that out after pulling them out of dead deer.

STOP IT!!

I cant afford another one and i really like that Apex!!

The ONLY reason i havent gotten one is the lack of the centerfire cartridge i want. :p Either 50S&W or a 50 Beowulf or maybe a 450 Marlin might clinch the sale.

Ive been down the original TC Contender path and the barrel addiction never ends. ;)

A local gun shop has the Apex in 30-06 for $439 and thats where i get most of my bullets/components. You are making it almost impossible to resist. :D If it was a 308 i might have caved in since i have tons of 308 supplies and LC match brass.

we got the 180's shooting really good but we're going to reload some 165 boattails and see how it does. Barrel heats up pretty fast with our current loads.

Go to a gun show and find some 30-06 Lake City National Match and "Sniper ammo. Most is 7.62NATO but i have a source of 30-06 too.

Its a buck a shot but the brass is awesome and after shooting it in the Apex, only partially resize them. I only resize the neck and only use that ammo in that gun. This only works in bolt actions or single shots.

I also set OAL to just off of the rifling lands and check it against the load data. Its usually a bit longer but safe if you are careful. Ive shrunk groups into a dime at 100 yards in a Rem 600 308 19" carbine using this method.

I love LC brass and it lasts a long time if you dont full length resize it or load it really hot.

Latest posts

Back