Undecided verdict....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Well I bought a muzzleloader from auctionarms.com. It's a used T/C .50cal New Englander. All I can say is that it is one of the more disappointing purchases I've made lately. Pictures can be deceiving and the ones with this rifle were. It's in MUCH worse condition than indictated... Bore had some rust in it too... Anyway here's the picture:

photo014%20_2_.jpg

Looks pretty good here! Worse thing was the bore... I don't know... I've cleaned it best I could and got to shoot it a LITTLE Wednesday before going to work. Loaded up with 70gr fffg Swiss and a .490 roundball... Initially groups at 25yds looked promising. When I moved the target to 50yds, accuracy really fell off. I shot one shot in the upper left of the target then moved the sight and here is the "group."

IMG_0271.JPG

Kinda makes me sick when I think of the really good shooting rifles I have. I guess I'll try upping the powder charge a little and see if that improves the accuracy. All I can say is that it is going to have to REALLY improve before I will keep this one. I've seen several barrels only for this model here and there and almost bought one after cleaning the barrel. Now after shooting it... :?:

What do ya'll think?

big6x6

Chuck, maybe a suggestion.... Send the barrel to TC they will lap it professionally and correctly for you. I sent a 54 cal in once for terrible pitting - they lapped it and it did not turn out to bad. It still will not be perfect but I will better...

The other thought if you want you could fire lap it with a conical - usually takes 10-15 rounds to do a really decent job.

Hey 6x6,

I guess I would contact the seller and tell him you are really disappointed in the rifle. If he had it advertised as being in good to excellent condition (and he is a reasonable person and wants a good reputation) he should do something, refund some money maybe?
I bought a sidekick which looked really good on the outside but the bore was pitted and the seller wasn't aware of this so he refunded half of the money I sent him.
Just depends, you know what a variety of people we have in this world.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

After cleaning this sucker...I don't know... Rust showing up on basically every patch. I think I'm going to get rid of it...

BTW...Here is the sellers answers to questions....Second question is mine..

Description:
"UP FOR AUCTION IS A THOMPSON/CENTER NEW ENGLANDER RIFLE WITH ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS.BLUING IS ABOUT 95% AND WOOD HAS A COUPLE OF HANDLING SCRATCHES AND DINGS.OTHERWISE IT IS IN VERY GOOD SHAPE AND SHOOTS GREAT."

Questions:
"(Public)
Q: Hi, Could you tell me how the bore looks is there any rust or pitting?Thank you 04/10/2009
A: HI VERY LITTLE RUST AT END OF BARREL NO PITTING BORE LOOKS SHINEY INSIDE,MINOR RUST AROUND FLASHPAN WHERE NIPPLE IS. RIFLEING LOOKS GOOD ALSO,I THINK THERE HAS BEEN MAYBE 50 ROUNDS SHOT OUT OF THIS GUN. 04/10/2009

(Public)
Q: Hi.. I wanted to ask a question or two about the New Englander... Is there ANYTHING functionally wrong/missing on this muzzleloader? How is the bore, rust/pit free? THANKS! 04/13/2009
A: Hi very sound rifle, shoots great,has new metal ramrod with the original wood one.minor rust at end of barrel,no pitting but can't see full length of barrel. 04/13/2009
"

I almost wonder if that seller knew about the rust and the problems with the rifle. And he dumped it.

Big 6 get yourself a 12 ga barrel for it than you can have more to play with

Of course it all depends on how much time and effort you want to put in to this project, but...

How did the fired patches look? Were they torn or shredded? If not, the barrel may be OK.

It might be worth trying a .495 ball with a tighter patch. I have had a couple T/C .50's (flinters) and they liked .495's and .015 or .020 patches. They loaded tight, but not ridiculous, and shot well with 90 to 100 grns of Goex.

Good luck

I'm gonna try it again with a .018 patch or a .495 ball. Also I'm going to go up to 80gr powder. I'll see how that goes...I still may get a different barrel or trade it off.... Rusty barrels are more easily to foul and are harder to clean.

cayuga said:
I almost wonder if that seller knew about the rust and the problems with the rifle. And he dumped it.

I think there is no doubt about that Dave.

Back