Great Plains Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
Anybody used the Hornaday Great Plains Bullets on deer? What were your results etc. Have a late model CVA Mountain rifle that shoots the 50 cal 385gr bullets and 70 gr 3f Goex pretty good, even though the gun smacks your face pretty bad with that load.

I shot a couple doe during doe season a few years ago, with them. They really drop a deer. They go in, open very nice, and really put a smack on a deer. I stopped using them because I got a couple White Rifles and now shoot a 460-500 grain lead slip fit conical. When I shoot conicals, I use a White.

I use the (no longer available) 410 grain Great Plains bullets in my TC New Englander, and my brother-in-law uses the 385 grain GPs in his TC Grayhawk. We've killed a passel of deer with them - almost always pass through on broadside shots. Use them with confidence.

50 cal. 385gr

Sure do work good out of my Cabela's Hawken Carbine. 80 gr 777. I think I would prefer the 410 gr. if it were still available. No need for a hollowpoint in a soft lead projectile.

Well, seems like the bullets are fine. Hopefully I can get the time to work up a round ball load for this rifle that isn't as punishing to shoot. Never realy took the time because I have 2 GPRs and a custom Hawken that I usually shoot. Laying the CVA and the GPR side by side, the comb of the CVA stock is every bit an inch plus higher . No wonder it smacks your cheek so hard. Am trying to set this up as a loaner gun for my brother since he didn't like the peep sites on the Lyman. Hell, may just pull the peep off my .50 GPR and let him shoot that. Its much less painful to shoot and plenty accurate.

I've had good luck with the 385gr bullets ,very accurate,hit hard,but kick pretty good.I switched to 300gr hornady sabot because I have fast twist barrel and don't drop as much or kick as hard when my 11 year old shoots it.But they perform well.

I've used the 385 grain great plains bullet in a TC Hawken 50 cal and the 390 gr great plains bullet in a TC Hawken 54 cal. Have taken deer with both bullets and they are my perfered bullet for deer hunting with these rifle. Yes they do kick a little more, but I only use these rifles for hunting, as I have other rifles for target and plinking. Don't forget to use the felt wads over powder with these bullets.

Back