couple of Qs from a newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin82

Reaction score
hey all just picked up my first ML (a traditions pursuit 2 guide gun) and was looking for a few powder/ sabot/bullet combos to try :D

im shooting T/C shockwaves 250 gr with 777 pellets(100 gr) with mixed results...tightest i can get is 4 inch at 100 yards so far(could just be me? im firing from a bench though and never had a problem with the .308 :wink: )

heading down to Gander Mountain(wayyyy cheaper than here in Ontario) so looking to pick up some goodies( wife permiting lol )

thanks in advance for your help fellas...good group here unlike some of the other forums ive found! :roll:

groups

Kind of new to inlines my-self but a lot of reading on accuracy .Try some loose powder, triple 7 or blackhorn 209.Primers can also make a difference ,try federal 209 a or cci 209 primers. I use the blackhorn and federal primers and harvester bullets with great groups.

I personally like Pyrodex RS pellets over the Triple Seven. I just get better accuracy with them. Why? No idea. The shockwaves are a good choice. Don't over look the 200 grain shockwaves with the blue sabots. They shoot well also.

You might want to try some XTP's as they normally shoot well. I personally do not own a rifle like yours, but do shoot a Remington Genesis which is basically the same as the Tradition's Yukon.

Be sure to swab the barrel between shots and the accuracy should show up. Being a new rifle I am guessing, sometimes they do not come to full potential until a few rounds have went down range.

personally, I'd try heavier bullets and a lower powder charge.

My Knight just doesn't play well with lighter bullets, so I shoot 300gr and up. As my general rule, 300gr sabots go with 80gr of loose 2fg777, 350gr sabots get 90gr of 3fg777, and 400gr sabots get 100gr of 3fg777. All of those give me about 1500fps out of my shorter 22" barrel.

I tend to theorize that all rifles have a sweet spot that they like (mine is that 1500fps level) - you just have to find what your rifle responds best too.

thnks for the replies guys. i am cleaning after every shot think im gonna go with a loose powder and heavier bullet... lol guuess i just gotta play around :lol: half the fun eh

Back