Man! Do these Whites shoot Goot!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got some time to go do some inline shooting, been spending my recent shooting time shooting the Renegade and PRB?s, but today I decided that I wanted to shoot an inline. I did have a specific purpose in mind today ? I really wanted to shoot some of these Lehigh?s that Grouse has been talking about. Besides shooting the 10mil/200 grain HP, I wanted to shoot the experimental 10mil/200 grain Ballistic Tip. Tom had sent me 6 tips so I inserted them into the HP bullets that I had on hand and placed them is a special container and then into the shooting bag, along with the box of hollow points.

Why the White? Tom had shot the BT?s in his Knight Disc Elite which has a 1/30 twist and they did not do well at all! He had discussed the problem with Dave Fricke of Lehigh and Dave worked the math ? they were to long for a 1/30 twist. Tom felt they would do well in a 1/24 twist though. Well as most know the White is a 1/24 ? now, I am not a Ballistician, but why are not more rifles 1/24 ? I think White has proven that it will shoot long heavy bullets and I know it will shoot light short bullets (10mil/200 grain XTP) ? seems to me the 1/24 is a universal twist rate. Sorry, I digress?

Took the White and headed to the ?Rock Pit? ? turkey season opened this morning so I was a bit worried someone might be camped there or already shooting there before I got there. But I got it all to myself. I got my little portable shooting bench and my workbench (the tailgate of the truck) set up and was ready to experiment?

I loaded up my first round ? 100 grains of T7-2f and a Lehigh HP. I looked down to the end of the rock pit for something to shoot with that very first bullet (100 yards +). Through the scope I spotted a 1 liter Pepsi bottle that someone had set out about ? full of water. Decided that would be the first shot. I had no idea where the first shot was going to go as the gun was sighted in with .458/300 grain Noslers. Lined the crosshairs up on the middle of the bottle and squeezed. I punched a really nice hole right through the neck of the bottle? nothing to talk about? Loaded again and this time held right on the bottom of the bottle, another nice hole just above the water line and about 5? above the POA. I was really surprised that these things seemed to shoot so flat, but I moved the scope down 12 clicks. Loaded again and sighted right at the base again. I can only say I really wish I had taken a video camera. Now, I have shot bottles of water before and thought the show was neat, but I have to tell you this was spectacular ? it was an explosion. I walked down to the end of the rock pit to check it out. The only thing I found where the bottle had been was a 6? circle of spattered water on the rock wall behind where the bottle was. I did find the bottle but it was several feet away from where it had been. I found my neat little 10 mil holes above the water line in the bottle. The entrance hole in the bottle in the water was also 10 mil but the back did not exist and the sides were ruptured. Awesome explosive show.

Back to the task at hand? Placed the target and lasered back to the truck 101 yards. Walked back to the truck and began the experimenting.

My first loads were 100 grain of T7-2f, I shot 3 shots and the hung in there real well. I know I was wishing they were a bit tighter? The next four shots I stepped the charge up to my normal 110 grains. I should have stopped at 3 shots? but I really wanted one of Semi?s five shot groups ? shot #7 screwed the group. These were all 10mil/200 grain HP?s.

I then changed to the 10mil/200 grain BT?s (these are not available from Lehigh yet as they need to be proven). I was somewhat worried about these because they did not shoot well for Tom. Stayed with the 110 grain charge ? Shot #1 was not at the POA but I thought it was acceptable. #2&3 showed some real promise ? shoulda quit!!! #4 ticked me off and #5 was the result of being upset. I need to say #4 and #5 were not the fault of the bullet. I had one more BT but I decided not to shoot it as I wanted to hang on to one of them ? just so I could show it around at the muzzy shoot this weekend in Kennewick.

At this point I am going to use one these HP?s on a whitetail this season, I believe it will do everything I need it to do from short yardage to 200 yards (my personal max).

OH! I did take one last shot with a HP ? someone had placed a few tangerines on the rocks at the end of the Rock Pit ? I couldn?t resist! ? it was just there for the taking?

Then out of respect for Turkey Season I did pattern the 870 on a turkey target at 40 yards ? I am ready?

White-Lehigh-Label.jpg

White-LehighComposite.jpg

Nice report!!

Nimrodder and I came to the conclusion the other day,,, after shooting various rifles it seems we always end up shooting our Whites. Not trying to be a smart-azz,,,,but if ya never shot one,,,yer missing out on a great rifle made by someone who really knew what he was doing. :wink:

Chief

but if ya never shot one,,,yer missing out on a great rifle made by someone who really knew what he was doing

Truth to those spoken words!

But! I have one them 'funke' crowns - but I do not care it shoots really goot!

sabotloader: Thanks for the report !

Haven't tried saboted bullets out of my .451 Whitetail.. except for the White Shooting Star. May have to re-visit with all the interest in the .45's. I forget, but think the twist is 1/20 or 1/22 .

Down to my last White... Shoulda keep the .451 Super 91 :cry:

sabotloader said:
Chief

but if ya never shot one,,,yer missing out on a great rifle made by someone who really knew what he was doing

Truth to those spoken words!

But! I have one them 'funke' crowns - but I do not care it shoots really goot!

Jest use fatter bullets on dem funky crowns..... :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Good shootin'.... :wink: :wink:

sabotloader-

Very nice report. From The downfall of these bullets is the low BC of the hollowpoint. I was hoping that the tipped version would be the solution. After seeing the comparison of the tipped and hollowpoint "wound" channels through the plywood I have some concernes. It would be great if someone could do some gel testing comparing the tipped and regular hollowpoint.

younghunter_86

Very nice report. From The downfall of these bullets is the low BC of the hollowpoint. I was hoping that the tipped version would be the solution. After seeing the comparison of the tipped and hollowpoint "wound" channels through the plywood I have some concernes. It would be great if someone could do some gel testing comparing the tipped and regular hollowpoint.

You have pointed out a couple of things that concern me also. First the concern about how the BTips went through the plywood. That concerns me also - I really think at close range if you do not hit something like a bone you might get a penceling effect. A lot of folks have discussed that same problem with SST/SW also. But at longer ranges when the bullet slows down I think you would see what you expect - but right now we do not know because no one is shooting it. I really wish i had shot some 200 grain Shockwaves - I would bet they would have done the same thing.

I am not a pointy bullet BC person anyway (with a ML anyway) so the HP's are going to work just fine for me. My personal limitation on range is 200 yard and these work out if I sight in @ 0 at 166 then I am good to shoot to 202 yard aiming dead on. I should then be 3" up @ 100 and 4 inches down @ 202.

I think Dave @ Lehigh will do that (Gel Testing) as soon as he get the BT Lehigh where he wants it.

Very nice shooting there Sabotloader. And Batchief, I could not agree. A White rifle is hard to beat.

Very good info adding to the body of evidence.

I'm becoming less concerned with the BC of this bullet......

NimrodRx

I am telling you - I am less concerned about the BC than I ever was before after shooting today. The gun was sighted in for a .458/300 - @ 100... Then to have to bring the zero down 3" to be on at 100 - I think that puppy is shooting pretty flat...

The two funnest (new word) shots of the morning were the water shot and this one...

DSCN0963.jpg

See that tangerine - next to the verticle crosshair.... it aint there no more and there aint enough of it left for even the birds to enjoy...

SL, awesome shooting 8) . Don't tell them DWB's but I've been shooting plastic out of mah Whites lately and they do a fine job with them things. Cool report.

Yeah, butt iz Bat shootin plastic 2, also?

FG, u dunno Pete rson?

Mike, again, good shootin'! And that stock is very pretty. 8)

I shot some 200 gr xtps out of my whitetail and they shot real nice too. I also have some 240 gr PR QT bullets I want to try. I think those should be the ticket on deer out to 150 yards or so with about 70 gr of t7 2f. Light recoil, but plenty of punch. Still have a bunch of the 460 gr NE's if that dont work, they just drop like a rock after about 80 yards with my light powder charges.

Latest posts

Back