Browns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LR

Reaction score
I'm an ultralight / micro ultralight guy. Some of my best times are catching natives from the local rivers. I use a variety of micro tubes to small 1/16 oz. spinners.

DKEsLcB.jpg

Beautiful fish. Where's it from? Wehave some nice "native" really "wild" trout out in western Massachusetts. Brook trout is our native trout in streams in new England. How did he taste?

Thanks Bobby. I live in Colorado, the fish was caught on the Big Thompson. As far as taste, I have no clue. I am a catch and release fisherman unless it's walleye or catfish.

Here's another Brown I caught on the same stretch of river near a spillway. The tube seems to work very well. I cast and let sink to bottom and then a couple twitches of the rod tip and I usually hook up.
Sfp476Q.jpg

I have a couple of ultralight setups that I enjoy.

I use 4lb test line and 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 oz. spinners and tubes.

1. Ugly stick 4' 6" one-piece sporting a Pflueger 30 reel.
2. Okuma 5' two-piece micro ultra light sporting a Pflueger 20 reel.

I have never felt under gunned for even bigger fish.

I know well what LongRifle is enjoying with light gear. My favorite Colorado fishing- and southern WY- is for small brookies in little streams and beaver ponds. Like to explore the small streams that feed the big rivers. Most any small, bright fly will do, just dap it on the surface.

I spread it out. I love fly fishing but I use spin rods too. UL and small spinners to a 7'6" ML for lakes using a bubble and fly. Sometimes Kasmasters and bigger Panther Martins. Just like Longrifle, I do C&R but sometimes i'll keep one who looks like it might not survive. I'm not fond of brownies but rainbows aren't too bad.

What I love to do is go to the high mountain creeks and catch some brookies. Then build a fire and cook them right up next to the creek. That's good eating. Sometimes a bear will come in looking for a free lunch. All he gets is a snootful of bear spray. Sorry, Mr Bear. Catch your own fish.

I spread it out. I love fly fishing but I use spin rods too. UL and small spinners to a 7'6" ML for lakes using a bubble and fly. Sometimes Kasmasters and bigger Panther Martins. Just like Longrifle, I do C&R but sometimes i'll keep one who looks like it might not survive. I'm not fond of brownies but rainbows aren't too bad.

What I love to do is go to the high mountain creeks and catch some brookies. Then build a fire and cook them right up next to the creek. That's good eating. Sometimes a bear will come in looking for a free lunch. All he gets is a snootful of bear spray. Sorry, Mr Bear. Catch your own fish.
:thumbs up:...Hard to beat the sweat taste of freshly caught, cold water, high moutain brookies cooked along the stream. We would simply gut'em, off with the heads/tails and into the frying pan! All natural. ;)

Wow. Most fresh fish are great eating. I like those small native (wild) brookies for breakfast with an egg and toast.

Latest posts

Back