Knight Original DISC

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct12555

Reaction score
Okay, I know next to nothing about MLs.

I have a Knight Original Disc rifle. For east Texas whitetail out to 100 yards, what would be my best bet for success, as far as the combination of bullet, sabot and brand of primer for this rifle? I will be using GOEX FFg. In other words, what works for you? Accuracy is a very high priority. Thank you!

I am assuming this is a 50 cal rifle, right??

If so, I would recommend you not try to push your powder loads into the "magnum" range, i.e. over 120gr.

My older Knight USAK, which still uses percussion caps and has a barrel 2" shorter than yours, likes medium powder loads with heavier bullets. I have been using 777 powder (which is probably a bit hotter than straight Goex) so you might have to tweak my loads to get the best accuracy for your rifle - but here are my general loading specs:

300gr sabot with 80gr 777
350gr sabot with 90gr 777
400gr sabot with 100gr 777

All of these loads run approximately 1500fps out of a 22" barrel and render tremendous accuracy and killing power out to 100 yds. Here is a post to some targets I've shot with them:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/66414501RJKYAr

The Precision Rifle QT bullets are my 1st go to bullets for hunting - their performance has been impeccable. The 300gr Hornady XTP Mags are great for sighting, paper-punching, and maybe hunting too - I just haven't used them on a hunt yet. The 300hr Hornady SSTs also provide marvelous accuracy.

I really don't think your choice of 209 primers will matter too much since you are using true black powder instead of the substitutes. Most of the new 209s made for the substitutes were designed to lower the incidence of the dreaded "Crud Ring" that 777 is famous for with 209s - this is no issue for Goex Black.

Hopefully this info will get you going for now - you are gonna LUV muzzleloading, it is SO addictive. :D

Thank you, Sir! That is exactly the kind of information I am needing.
As far as the sabot, I have read about different brands. Do you prefer one over another, or does it matter as long as it is the correct size? I'm sure I could search for this, but I am not a computer whiz either.

I have the same rifle. It shoots most anything real good with 110 grains of loose powder. I shoot a Shockwave 250 grain out of mine. Another good bullet is a 250 grain Barnes MZ in the suppled sabot.

Just FYI, your original Knight Disc rifle is rated for 150 grains of loose powder. Mine shot great with 375gr Buffalo Bullet SSB and 110gr of T7 2F with Winchester 209 primers (not the ML primers).

As far as sabots go - you can't go wrong with the MMP sabots. That is what Precision Rifle uses and Hornady too I believe, maybe Barnes as well. For practice bullets I like to buy bags of MMP sabots and boxes of the Hornady 300gr XTP Mags - both come in packages of 50 and is cheaper than buying the packaged sets Hornady sells.

Harvester is supposed to make good sabots too, but I've never bought them by bags and tried them - at least not yet. What you can do is recover the ones you shoot (they are usually found 10 to 20 yards downrange toward the target) and do a little post-mortem inspection on them. The petals will be splayed out like a helicopter's rotors, but you want to check the edges of the cup to see if there is any sign of the powder cutting them. As long as the petals seem to open consistently and the cups aren't cut by the powder burn - they are acceptable for use.

Another consideration is how tight a particular sabot fits when you load it. You want a good tight fit for best accuracy.........but some bores don't like certain sabots - it'll take a little experimentation. The good news is that Knight used Green Mountain barrels which are probably the most consistent-sized barrels in the industry.

I have the same rifle that shoots hornady 300gr xtp, or mag very accurate. If the bullets are .44 i match them with the harvester crush rib sabots. If the bullets are .45 cal i match them with mmp. I was getting one inch groups at a hundred yards with both bullets set ups. I have killed medium size animials with both bullets excellent results (deer , hog). I can get this accuraccy with bh 209 90gr loads or triple seven 100gr loads. The hornadys are so cheap and perform well in my book. im sure thier are better out thier but your gonna pay for it. I forgot to add that this gun also shoots 240 grain hornadys very well too.

Latest posts

Back