Great Year with my Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Deer Man

Reaction score
Got a new ML-II 10 this year with thumbhole and just love that gun. Used it here in NY all regular season and now using it in ML season. I don't even miss my center fire.

Took a nice doe opening day and then a nice 8 point 10 minutes later. Nicest buck I ever shot in NY. My goal since then was to take a deer over 150 yards a preferably over 200 yards with my Savage. Yesterday I got it - big doe at 177 yards. Bang-Flop! Didn't take a step.

The savage is the cats A$$!

Now I have the flintlock out. First time with a sidelock of any kind. Really excited to get something with it.

Good luck to all who still have some season left!

Johnny

Nice :applause: :applause:

What load are you shooting and what scope is on yours?

I'm using a nikon monarch 2.5-10x42 and the 300 grain hornady sst over 43 grains of SR4759. I'm also using harvester short black sabot instead of supplied sabot.

Gongrats Frontsuffer1, glad for your success. The very first three shots I took with my 10ML-II at both 50 and 100yrds were groups so small that I instantly fell in love with it. I pains me no end to shoot sabot slugs costing $2-$3 per shot when my .70C per shot 10ML-II hits harder, is far more accurate and to a considerably farther range as well.

I guess there are far worce things to become adicted to besides my 10ML-II.

Forgot to add that at least in my opinion based on what I have read here and at Doug's Harvester sabots are the best you can use in your 10ML-II. They turned my 10ML-II from a acceptable shooter to a scarry accurate ML. And the only thing I did was change which sabot I was using.

savage

Stuffer,

I've had my Savage ML for two years now & never looked back .
You can't beat em in my opinion for cost & performance.
I've taken three deer so far with mine with yardages being 92,110 and 130.
My best loads are: 300 Rem.,Harv. BCR sabots & 45 gr's of 5744 and 60 gr's of N120 with BCR sabot and Barnes Orig. bullets. Orange MMP sabots also work.

Luv Da Savage!!

Mark :wink:

Frontstuffer my best performing load with the XTP is:

300grn .452XTP
Harvester short black sabot (non-crushed ribbed)
64 grains of IMR-4198
Federal 209a primer.
Sabot/Bullet orented to rifling

I have posted pics of this load over at dougs that are no BS sub MOA at 100yrds.

My A#1 best hunting load is:
.458" 300 grain Barnes Original SSP
Harvester Black Crushed Ribbed Sabot
75 grains of RL-10X
Federal 209a primer.

Again this is a great load that gives 100yrd groups btwn 1.0-1.25".

At present I only need to use three different types of Harvester sabots for all my 10ML-II shooting. The three other loads I shoot are still in their testing stage. [/list]

Back