stepson outshoots me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Taking my stepson (just out of college) on his first Colorado hunt this fall for a muley buck. Since I ordered a new Knight LRH for me, I took him my Omega this weekend to try. I have been shooting 3 to 3 & 1/2" groups with 90 gr BH 209 and the Hornady FPBs. Open (peep) sights of course.

He shot 3 groups (1-1/2", 2", and 2 &1/2"). He and I were both amazed. I didn't think that gun was capable of that with open sights, but I suspect that his young eyes are the difference.

Made me proud and amazed him in the gun and himself. Gave him confidence that he can make the shot when the time comes. Now I just have to get my new LRH dialed in. Come on September!

Congratulations! It was YOUR excellent instruction that allowed him to shoot so well!

I hope you both have a great time. Enjoy the journey!

now if you can just convince him that because he can shoot better, he can drag your deer out better than you, you'll have it made :D

txhunter58 said:
Now you are talking! I will of course help him get his buck out and he will have to help me get my elk out!

Sounds like a fair trade to me! :lol:

Good luck to you guys on your hunt.

Oh, those young eyes! Sure would be nice, but I have to do with one old one!!!

Your story reminds me of when I was working up a load for my Ruger 77V .220 Swift several years ago. I was shooting sub .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it - several groups went into .3".

A young man about 22 years old was at the shooting range with a custom Ruger 10-22. He asked me to sign a target stating that I had seen him shoot, so that he could enter the target into an on-line competition.

I invited this young man to shoot my Swift. He proceeded to shoot a 5 shot group that went into (if I remember correctly) .252". I've never been able to duplicate his group. Oh, if I just had 22 year old eyes again!

DPH said:
Your story reminds me of when I was working up a load for my Ruger 77V .220 Swift several years ago. I was shooting sub .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it - several groups went into .3".

A young man about 22 years old was at the shooting range with a custom Ruger 10-22. He asked me to sign a target stating that I had seen him shoot, so that he could enter the target into an on-line competition.

I invited this young man to shoot my Swift. He proceeded to shoot a 5 shot group that went into (if I remember correctly) .252". I've never been able to duplicate his group. Oh, if I just had 22 year old eyes again!

Thank You Jesus, for giving mankind enough brains to make scopes for us OLD guys :lol: :D 8)

lane said:
DPH said:

Thank You Jesus, for giving mankind enough brains to make scopes for us OLD guys :lol: :D 8)

AMEN! :D

txhunter58 said:
Now you are talking! I will of course help him get his buck out and he will have to help me get my elk out!

sounds like a fair trade to me !!! :D

lane said:
DPH said:

I'll second that amen. That's how I got into shooting modern muzzleloaders. When we hunt with my nephew he amazes me the stuff he spots with the naked eye.

Latest posts

Back