Any new powders for flintlocks.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossie

Reaction score
I have been using Goex in my flintlocks and was wondering if there are any real good bp substitutes that work good in flintlocks. My flintlock season is usually wet and sometimes very cold with snow. Anyone try anything that works better than Goex in flintlocks. I have not tried Swiss because I can't find it locally.

Goex, Swiss, KIK, Wano, Graf, Elephant (which you could not sell me), and others are all good black powders. Swiss needs to be watched close as it is much stronger then Goex and the others. 15% stronger in most cases.

As for substitute powders, while you can duplex many powders out there and get them to fire, black powder is still the best thing for a flintlock.

I purchase my black powder by the case through Powder Inc. I get a good deal and even though there is a hazmat fee, it all works out to make Goex the most cost effective powder out there.

Granted, I pick up maybe 10 pounds of Pyrodex and Triple Se7en at Wal Mart's end of the season sale, but I do not count on that supply for my shooting needs.

mossie said:
I have not tried Swiss because I can't find it locally.

Order some from Graf & Sons...that way you can try their Graf powder too. It's made by Wano and shoots good.

I've yet to shoot Wano or Grafs. Thanks for the heads up. I was going to order some last time, but instead went to Power Inc because I wanted some Pinnacle and some Swiss. Graf wanted seperate Haz Mat charges for each brand of powder. That I told them would not happen...

cayuga said:
Graf wanted seperate Haz Mat charges for each brand of powder.

Someone there was confused. I've always mixed brands and have only paid the one hazmat. Last order was last month...ordered Goex, Swiss and Graf.

When I called them I wanted to order Grafs, Swiss, Pinnacle, and I believe American Pioneer or Black Mag 3 and 2000 #11 caps. and 1000 Remington Kleenbore Primers. They then told me there would be seperate haz mat charges and I told them to forget it.

I would have thought for the kind of order I was placing, they would have been a little more cooperative. When they told me that I ordered the powder from Powder Inc. and later ordered the rest from Mid South.

i bet they couldnt ship the percussion caps and the powder in the same shipment (under the same hazmat fee)

Latest posts

Back