new scope.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornking68

Reaction score
Wow what a great site. Long time reader, first time poster. I am in the market for a new scope and have narrowed it done to these. Burris Fullfeild II, Bushnell 3200, and the Nikon Buckmaster. Mainly used for whitetails in the farm feilds and small timbers of northern Illinois. In some open areas the shots can push that 150 yard mark. I shot my ML regularly so I am confident in my shooting, but yet know my limitations. The scope will go on a CVA Kodiak Pro that i purchased last year and have really grown to enjoy. The scope will replace a cheap 3x9 Bushnell that I purchased at a local Gander Mountain that was advertised as a ML scope. This scope has served it's purpose, just looking to upgrade. Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the great info on a number of other things that I have been able to find the answer to just by browsing the subjects on this site.

Of these I would purchase the Elite or the Nikon. or.....,
For about the same dollars as the Elite 3200 you could also purchase a Nikon Monarch UCC. I would rate the glass on the Monarch as better than the 3200.$279.00 at Scopes and More
This scope also has one piece tube construction and 95 % light transmission.
Another consideration would be the new Swift PREMIUM SRP. It has one piece tube construction and now boasts 94% light transmission. A great scope for about $150.00. Excellant glass and clarity(just bought one).

Scopes and More link:
http://www.scopesnmore.com/riflescopes4 ... scopes.htm[/url]

E.Arthur Brown link for Swift Scopes:

http://eabco.com/Swift01.htm

Welcome to the forum Cornking!

I'm going to go outside the loop as well. Having owned two of the three you mentioned(never had a Nikon Buckmaster)I'd get the Leupold VX-I 3-9X40 in that price range. It's lighter, shorter, and has more eye relief than the other three and has more windage/elevation adjustment than all but the Nikon Buckmaster. But if you have to one of the three, I know the Burris 3-9 is a good scope. I know we have several 3200 fans out there BUT...It has the least eye relief AND the least amount of w/e adjustment...50 inches at 100yds often isn't enough, especially on a muzzleloader.

A couple of months ago I did what you're planning to do, buy a new scope. I wanted 2 things. I wanted more magnification for the range so wanted at least 4 -12. Next I wanted the rainguard. Had my other scope fog up on me one morning when it was around the freezing mark and 100% humidity. I went with the 3200 Elite. I like it and my shooting at the range has improved with the higher mag.

Guys, thanks for all the great feedback. I am looking into the Leopould also. What are the biggest differences between a VX I and a VX II? Also what are the differences between a VX and a Vari X? The reasoning for my other choices is that I hab benn watching those scopes sell NIB on E-Bay for right around 120 to 140 dollars. Again what a great site to find very knowledgeable people to answer all questions a person has about muzzleloading.

I have 5 Nikon scopes. I really like all of them. I have 2 Monarchs which are awesome. I have 2 Buckmasters which are very clear. I just bought a Prostaff which is a nice little scope for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Nikon scope.
I've never looked through a Bushnell Elite but have heard they are nice. I've had a few Leupolds, they are great scopes. After I got my Monarch I was convinced Nikons were for me.
You have 3 good scopes to chose from. I would find a store that you could look at all of them before you decide. You might want to consider a Burris Fullfield as well. I have one and like it. They are around $150 or so new on the internet.

Mike

What are the biggest differences between a VX I and a VX II?

Mostly optics and coatings. The VX-II DOES have better optics...but the VX-I is plenty good enough for most uses.. If you have the extra $$$ the VX-II has REALLY good optics!

Also what are the differences between a VX and a Vari X?

The VX series is a move up from the Vari-X series.. Example..a VX-I is a slightly BETTER scope than the Vari-X II series...mostly better optic coatings..

VX-I has friction adjustments and the VX-II has click adjustments. Might not make a difference to you, but it does for me. I can dial in the click adjustment a lot better than the friction. Every time I look through my VX-II 4x12 I am very happy that I spent the money on quality this time. I have a Rifleman 4x12 on my other ML that I am also very happy with, I just wish that it had click adjustments also. As far as clarity and light gathering though there is not a whole lot of difference between the 2, both are excellent. So I would recommend anything that has Leupold on the side, even if Wal-Mart carries it.

I would also go with the Leupold VXI mine is the VXII 2x7 but my buddies is the VXI 2x7 and there isnt much difference. These are also called a muzzleloader/shotgun scope. Great scopes! My son has the Nikon(it is a nice scope) but I can tell a difference side by side.

Matt

big6x6 said:
Welcome to the forum Cornking!

I'm going to go outside the loop as well. Having owned two of the three you mentioned(never had a Nikon Buckmaster)I'd get the Leupold VX-I 3-9X40 in that price range. It's lighter, shorter, and has more eye relief than the other three and has more windage/elevation adjustment than all but the Nikon Buckmaster. But if you have to one of the three, I know the Burris 3-9 is a good scope. I know we have several 3200 fans out there BUT...It has the least eye relief AND the least amount of w/e adjustment...50 inches at 100yds often isn't enough, especially on a muzzleloader.

I have 2 VX-1 2x7x33 scopes and like them both very well. Great scopes for the money...

Back