bottom pour melters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
since i am starting to cast for hand guns, I picked up a bottom pour melter. lee pro. IV for $50 at a local gunshop. I am loving it. 300 bullets made (including the mold break in ones) in less then 1hr just learning the basics of the method. now just gotta learn to control the flow rate.

i gotta get one of those some time, they seem so much easier. I hear the spout tends to clog up but easy to take care of.

After I cast about 100 bullets with mine, the bottom will leak and keep dripping. It's hazardous having molten lead splatting around.
I don't know if it's due to inadequate fluxing or if it is due to the Physics. The heating element seems to be encased in the jacket surrounding the container. Heat rises so the part nearest the spout on the bottom cools off and hardens thus interfering with the shut off valve. I don't know if it is a valid theory but I think so since I thought it up on my own. :bom:

the clog problem is easy, unbent paper clip and a pair of pliers. been reading and having a torch or just a stick lighter helps with the freezing problem.

been reading, if you lap the stem to the spout that helps with leaking problem. another solution is putting more weight on the handle.

I placed a small, 6in cast iron frying pan under the spout to help catch to drips.

Corey when it drips just take a screwdriver and give the stem a couple of twists , as for the spout just clean with a bent .062" stainless tig wire

I have not had much of drip problem yet, next time I go out and cast some I will watch it.

been busy with a brass trade right now.

Latest posts

Back