3 petal sabot ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossie

Reaction score
I hear that MMP has a newer 3 petal black sabot out. Has anyone used it? Does it replace the older 4 petal standard short black sabot. I need to buy more and was wondering if I should bet the 3 petal or not. Groups are good with the 4 petal but would not complain if they got tighter. Any help appreciated. I use BP only and 90-100 grains 2f. :D

They're smaller than the HPH-24's. So if HPH-24s are hard to load then you can try the three petaled sabots.

mossie

The 3p ez load is smaller in diameter than the HPH-12 or the HPH-24. The older short petaled black MMP sabot is not a HPH. If you are having troble getting sabots down, the 3p is probably the best answer I out there. I have shot a lot of the 3p's and they work very well - I prefer them over the Harvester "Crush Rib"

If you have additional questions send a PM to razorback or call MMP they really do like to help people.

sabotloader,

I love MMP sabots but was wondering why you prefer the 3p ez over the Harvester crush rib?

Whitesmoke

whitesmoke

I was one of the lucky ones that got to test the 3p before it came out, I really wanted to provide MMP with correct infromation from my standpoint.

I shot several rounds of:
MMP HPH-24's
the 3p
Harvester Regular Black Sabots
Harvester "Crush Ribs"

I shot them across a Prodigital Chrono - shooting 100 grains of t7-2f, and I shoot them to compare groups at 50 yards and 100 yards.

To be honest, I got the best velocity and the best accuracy with the HPH-24's in my test gun - Austin & Halleck 320 SN with a (don't laugh) a Tasco 3x9x40 mil-dot scope.

The 3p's were a little loose in the A&H going down - very little pressure needed, the "Crush Rib" did require a little more pressure to get down but it was easy. The 3p's consistently gave me better accuracy and higher velocity... It was not a great deal more velocity but I remember I felt better about them. I could go dig up the log and even the report but they are not handi right now.

Let me know if you want the specific numbers and or targets I think thay are still on the other computer.

sabotloader,

No need to go to the trouble I was just wondering. Sounds like MMP does it again :yeah: just the ticket for rifles with a really tight bore.

Thanks,

Whitesmoke

whitesmoke

If'n you get yourself a White (.504) you will not need to worry about these slim sabots you will be shooting the HPH-12. They load in my White just perfect....

Sabotloader,

I appreciate the info, actually I was asking for a cousin of mine who I'll be hunting with in VA. in about two weeks. He just purchased an Omega and I've heard the T/C's generally have a tight bore. My 77/50 that I'm shooting is running right at .5025 land to land and loads very smoothly with 45/50 prbullets. The bullets run .450 and I think their supplied with the HPH-12.

Thanks,

Whitesmoke

Latest posts

Back