Firing delay???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

Reaction score
I have noticed this a few times, but nows a good time to ask why?

99% of the time the gun goes bang right away, but once and a while it goes click bang? A very noticable delay. Am I doing something wrong

777 primers, 777 pellets

Max

Triple Se7en pellets should NEVER have a delay...ignition should be immediate..

Might want to try a hotter primer such as regular Winchester, CCI, or Federal 209As.

Are you cleaning or spit-patching between shots. Excess of either at the breechplug could cause this.

What kind of bullet are you using? A loose-fitting conical(Powderbelt or other) COULD cause this. A tight-fitting sabot..never...

Using shockwave 250's

It was at the end of the day on a clean barrel. Maybe I should have fired a primer through it before heading out. I may have over-cleaned it after my day at the range :D :D

Those pre-wetted cleaning patches I'm using seem too wet and likely to leave moisture in the breech plug?

Max

max, what rifle? Could be your firing pin is collecting grunge, mung, and rearward ejecta. ;) Could be the firing spring is a bit on the weak side.

Yes you should pop at least one primer before loading up a clean gun. This burns any oil thats in there and/or it puts a coat of soot over it so it won't affect your primer flame. Those wet patches could be leaving your gun too wet. You want your gun to be dry before you load and shoot. Between shots I just run a spit patch down the barrel and then turn it over and do it again. This leaves very little mosture if any at all. Good luck.

In addition to the great advise already given. Try a hotter, standard 209 primer like a Federal 209A.

If you are using an NEF, use forget 777 pellets and use Pyro pellets, you will not have any hangfire issues. In all cases Pyro pellets will ignite easier than 777 pellets.

I would guess this was caused by the wet patches. I would use both sides for a dry patch after the wet one and then fire I primer. Should solve the problem.

Thanks guys.

Need more time at the range - Tough time of year to find it.

I added my info to my signature.

Max

Definitely start cleaning that firing pin assembly if you do not do so already - whether or not that has anything to do with your current problem. Just a different brand/type primer might well be your answer and certainly the overly damp patches are suspects (missed your mention of that earlier).

I too, had some ignition troubles with 777pellets and 777 primers. 2 pellets once in a great while I'll get a hangfire, but with three delayed ignition was getting pretty frequent. If I shoot 3 pellets, I must use a hotter primer. I just think those triple 7 pellets are darn tough to ignite :( I have no ignition problems with loose triple 7, pyrodex, or GOEX.

too wet patches.

I found the small tub of T/C patches to wet for my liking. Just leave the top open for a few days and let the #13 evaporate and the patches will be just fine.

Choc-dog

When you purchase those pre-moistened patches like Knight, Thompson Center, and Rusty Duck sell.. they are too wet to put right into the rifle. When I bought some of them I would ring them out, back into the jar they came in. Then swab the barrel using both sides of the patch.

After that I always ran two dry patches down the bore and always checked the second patch. If that felt wet, then I ran a third patch down the bore.

Doing this, I seldom if ever had any problems with ignition.

I am new to muzzleloading and experienced the same problem last weekend.

I was using the pre-saturated #13 patches and felt they were way too wet. I'm using 777 pellets, 777 primers, and 250gr shockwaves in my T/C Pro Hunter. The 1st shot fired right off, no problem. Then I ran one "wet" patch and one dry patch (exactly as shown in T/C's video that came with my gun). Then on the 2nd shot I got a click, but no bang! :shock: I put another primer in and another click, but no bang. After removing the pellets and shockwave, I figured it must have been too wet to fire. :?

For my remaining shots, I used 1 wet patch and 2 dry patches and it worked better, but I still had a couple click slight pause then fire. :|

I am not comfortable with this gun yet and am very glad to read this post and advice from the experienced shooters. I'll try drying out the pre-saturated patches a little before using them again.

ss-crew said:
I am new to muzzleloading and experienced the same problem last weekend.

I was using the pre-saturated #13 patches and felt they were way too wet. I'm using 777 pellets, 777 primers, and 250gr shockwaves in my T/C Pro Hunter. The 1st shot fired right off, no problem. Then I ran one "wet" patch and one dry patch (exactly as shown in T/C's video that came with my gun). Then on the 2nd shot I got a click, but no bang! :shock: I put another primer in and another click, but no bang. After removing the pellets and shockwave, I figured it must have been too wet to fire. :?

For my remaining shots, I used 1 wet patch and 2 dry patches and it worked better, but I still had a couple click slight pause then fire. :|

I am not comfortable with this gun yet and am very glad to read this post and advice from the experienced shooters. I'll try drying out the pre-saturated patches a little before using them again.

I'm guessing, but is there a chance that your vent got wet and dry patching isn't drying it. You might have to pop a cap before loading to ensure it's clean.

RAF said:
I'm guessing, but is there a chance that your vent got wet and dry patching isn't drying it. You might have to pop a cap before loading to ensure it's clean.

RAF - Thank you for the advice. I'll give that a try. :)

Back