Cleaning question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Each time I take my savage apart to clean it, I have a heck of a time cleaning the threads from the breech plug. I'm sure that when I'm done there's still some lube in those threads. Anyone have any suggestion on a quick and effective way to clean them.

I assume you are talking about the threads in the back of the barrel. I simply use a nylon breech brush with a patch on the end with Hoppes. This is a T/C brand that I picked up at Wal-Mart. Works like a charm. :wink:

Do you guy turn the rod and brush to get the threads cleaned out.

I do the same thing as others have posted to clean the barrel threads, except I use "Gunzilla". A new product that is naturally based,non toxic, but man will it remove crud!!! :shock: This product will remove black powder and smokeless residue, plastic from sabots etc.etc.etc....
The owner of the company indicated he had some of the Special Forces, groups using it and they absolutely love the stuff.

Sorry, did not intend on hijacking this thread, just excited about this cleaner.

http://www.topduckproducts.com/

Thanks for all the advise. I guess when I'm cleaning, a little grease won't make a difference. I didn't have a problem a while back. Trying to shoot off some left over 4227 and as expected a misfire. No matter what I did it wouldn't go BOOM :x . I had to pull the gun apart, take out the breech plug. You guessed it, powder all over the threads and grease. Spent considerable time trying to clean it at the range. I finally put the breech plug back in and I think and grains of powder got pushed forward in the threads.

Back