breech plug clean up/ OOPS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Note to self:

If using brake cleaner to clean breech plug after using BH 209, do not put the cleaner and breech plug in plastic cup to soak. Brake cleaner will eat through plastic cup!

I always did it with Hoppes and never had a problem!

LOL. Learn something new every day!

:lol: thats news to my eyes.

I always figured that if hoppes came in a glas bottle, there was a reason. Many times ive wanted to soak my plug in it but only had plastic containers. Now that i know its safe, i will now go and soak my plug!

I got three stainless steel small cups that you get Au juice at restaurants in. You know that stuff you dip your foods in. They stand up to all cleaners, and clean real easy. I fill that with solvent, and then soak nasty parts.

Another good place to soak parts in... go to Wal Mart and get a jewelry cleaner jar. It has a small basket in it, for the nipples, breech plugs, etc.. so you don't have to dig your fingers into it to get the parts back.

If you have an old steel army pack cup laying around they work fine to. Lee

frontier gander said:

I always figured that if hoppes came in a glas bottle, there was a reason. Many times ive wanted to soak my plug in it but only had plastic containers. Now that i know its safe, i will now go and soak my plug!

My current bottle of Hoppes (w/ copper solvent) came in a plastic bottle.

txhunter58 said:
frontier gander said:

My current bottle of Hoppes (w/ copper solvent) came in a plastic bottle.

I was gonna say the same thing. FG must still be on the old school supply. :D I got a bottle of Hoppes from my dad the other day that must have been older than me. It was in a glass bottle.

Same here. All of my bottles of Hoppe's #9 are in plastic bottles. I get the small ones from walmart and use one of them strictly for breech plug soaking. Works great.

Hulions

I assume you resuse the Hoppes after the soak, would it degrade after a while?
I get the small ones from walmart and use one of them strictly for breech plug soaking. Works great.

frontier gander said:
no kiddin! There are 3 places here that sell hoppes and they are all in the glass bottle.

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen anywhere that sells it in glass bottles. 8)

Bucker,

I do reuse the same bottle each time. I just add a little more Hoppes when it will not completely cover the breech plug. Let it soak and give it a few shakes while working on other parts of the gun.

SWThomas said:
frontier gander said:
no kiddin! There are 3 places here that sell hoppes and they are all in the glass bottle.

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen anywhere that sells it in glass bottles. 8)

Been dealing with the stuff for many years and I have never seen it in a plastic bottle. I have dropped a few glass bottles and wished it was plastic. ;)

Mike Venturino got me into a very easy way to clean bp guns. It takes me about 2-4 minutes to clean a breech plug. i have a small spray bottle filled with Windex with vinegar. This stuff is mildy acidic and it really eats the base that is the crud.

i take the stuff to a sink, spray the plug down well and then brush off the crud with a toothbrush. If the front of the plug is recessed i spray some more Windex with vinegar in the recess and remove the crud with a paper towel. Then a pipe cleaner in the primer flash hole and it is done. About every third cleaning I take a drill and clean out the primer flash hole.

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen3.html

CLEANING:
After each stage wipe off the front of the cylinder and the hammer, hammer notch, and nipples with a shop towel. If fouling around the hammer is dry and crusty, then use a shop towel wetted with Windex with Vinegar and water. If, using American Pioneer Powder, Pinnacle, or 777, you need bore cleaning between stages, something is wrong.

At the end of the day take the cylinder out. Spray it with Windex with Vinegar. Clean the nipple area with the toothbrush. Personally, I never remove the nipples. Instead I clean the outside of the nipples with the toothbrush, then turn them 180? with a nipple wrench and repeat, then retighten. Don't lube the cylinder. It's stainless. Dry it. Toothbrush fouling off the frame after dousing with Windex/vinegar. Clean and lube the base pin with lubricant of choice. Run a Bore Snake through the bore (Windex on front end, lubricant on back end). Lube with lubricant of choice. Reassemble.

Back