Hello! New to Muzzleloading and very frustrated!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demented

Reaction score
I've owned a Knight LK Wolverine for years, just last season decided to try my luck with it deer hunting. Since 209's are all that were available locally, I bought and installed the conversion from #11 caps. I had two powders, loose Pyrodex RS and loose 777. Using Hornady XTP 250gr. .45 bullets with black sabots, 100grains of either powder (by volume) the best I could do with either was about 8" at 100 yards. I followed accepted loading proceedures as well as I could, spit patched between shots, even removed the scope, installed it on a 30-06 bolt gun to ensure it wasn't the problem. I'm completely at a loss as to where to go from here, it was suggested that I drop to 90 grains and try 290 gran Barnes bullets. If this has a chance of doing well I don't mind spending the $$ but I've already wasted over $100 dollars on stuff that doesn't work already. Sorry for my rather long winded post-I do need advice before I get aggravated enough to stick my Knight back in the safe for another ten years! Thanks for ANY opinions, ideas, help, etc...

what 209 primers are you using? the hot shotgun shell 209's can cause poor accuracy. Ive always had the best luck with the cooler muzzleloading 209 primers.

They were/are Winchester, made for ML or so the package says. Only brand available without ordering and paying HAZ-Mat. Lack of selection really hurts us here. Do you think that weighing charges would help or is this even safe? I keep trying to interpolate my experience with metallic cartridges to muzzleloading.

I'll take that piece of junk off your hands if you like, of course you'll have to ship it to me at your expense. Seriously, you have to play around with these things and find what it likes the best as far as what you feed it. I fought mine for several seasons coping with less than expected results until I found my load and my gun shoots cloverleafs now.

Do you know which "black" sabot you are shooting? How does it load? Is it a good fit, does it take a firm pressure to seat the bullet or does it slide down easily? Is your bore clean and dry when you start shooting? If you could add a little more info, it may help figure out what's going on. The 90 gr of powder is a good start, work your load up, in 5gr increments, not to exceed, the rifles capabilities. Try this for the type of bullets you spoke of and see if it helps.

TJJ said:
Do you know which "black" sabot you are shooting? How does it load? Is it a good fit, does it take a firm pressure to seat the bullet or does it slide down easily?

If the bullet seats firmly, maybe try some different charges, like +/- 10-15grn(by volume) of the 100 you are having trouble with. I am by no means an expert, but i'm sure some of the seasoned ML shooters on here will help, Good luck!

Perry

MMP sabots, takes a bit of pressure to stuff 'em in. Started with a squeaky clean rifle, I do mean CLEAN. I'm a bit anal about my firearms, perhaps too much so. Firing was done from a Caldwell Led Sled, at least ten minutes between shots-had to ride my ATV to the target stand, my spotter went TU on me at the last minute.

I own two Wolverines. Both of them have 22 inch barrels. My better loads are 85 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grains Barnes MZ. Or 250 grain Shockwaves. My one has a 2.5x scope and shot a 3 inch group at 100 yards. My other has a 4x Simmons and did about the same group. I am more then pleased with mine. Also I shoot #11 caps. I do not need that 209 ignition with loose powder and I hate to change the design of a rifle.

cayuga said:
I own two Wolverines. Both of them have 22 inch barrels. My better loads are 85 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grains Barnes MZ. Or 250 grain Shockwaves. My one has a 2.5x scope and shot a 3 inch group at 100 yards. My other has a 4x Simmons and did about the same group. I am more then pleased with mine. Also I shoot #11 caps. I do not need that 209 ignition with loose powder and I hate to change the design of a rifle.
Advice from wolverine owners is some of the best you will get.even my centerfire rifles don't shoot some brands as well as others.any rifle M/L or C/F takes some experimenting.keep at it you will find one or two that work well.

I would seriously look for some #11 caps and go back to what was working. My MK85 hated the 209 ignition and the groups with it went south in a hurry. Took it out and went back to the caps and everything came back. I never had a problem lighting off trip 7 with a #11 cap in my MK.

DC

My brother has a wolverine with a 22 inch barrel and 209 ignition. He has a leupold 3x9 mounted on it. He uses 100 grains of loose 777 ffg. I can't remember which primer he is using. He uses 250 grain shockwaves. It easily shoots two inch groups at a 100 yards. I watched him shoot a Iowa 8pt last week with it at 142 yards. It ran 70 yards and dropped dead.

Back