Borescope pics of Over Powder Wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I was Loading up to Foul my Bore and decided this would be a good time to Show the Over Powder Wad On top of the Powder Charge

First up is the .460 Diameter Nitro Card by Circle Fly, they are THICK at 0.135, my Bore is .450, .458 Groove. This thing should be sealing up REALLY good, but it sure doesn’t look it? Look in the Land/Groove Corners of this Square Cut Rifling, See the Gap? I would think That would allow Gas LEAKAGE upon initial Touch off? Maybe it would “Bump up” Immediately, I can only Speculate? I am NOT a Fan of this one at all
W0ooDGr.png

BOcJIr0.jpg

Next up is Oversize Wool, this is a .50 Cal Wool Wad in my .45 Cal Rifle, .450 Bore, .458 Groove. This 1/8” Thick Wool Felt are the OP Wads I ABSOLUTELY Swear by! I have my BEST Luck with these, They Seal the Bore GOOD N TIGHT, and Release from the Bullet Base IMMEDIATELY upon Exiting, And Being Soft, they are Forgiving. This Stuff is HANDS DOWN my Favorite Over Powder Wad Material!
YLqN5T9.png

Last, and the Most impressive “looking” is the .060 Thick LDPE (Low Density Poly Ethylene) Look how this Wad is “BIT IN” the Land/Grooves, especially the Corners. These things Seal the Bore/Grooves (Square Cut Rifling) REALLY GOOD N TIGHT. I need to Tinker with these Some more. I can make these in .030, and .060 Thickness, I have a BUNCH of Bulk Material, and Press Mounted Wad Punches
3Bl2hZP.png

Last edited:
I dont think the poly would go over really well with the traditional guys lol.

No i bet not, they would 🤢🤮 at those 🙂

I am a DIEHARD 1/8” Oversize Wool Felt Guy, They work with EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME. I can Depend on them to Deliver 👍 I can’t say that about the Hard Card Type Wads, i have had REALLY good luck, and REALLY Bad with them, I find them VERY unpredictable. If i Shot more Jacketed Sabotless they are AWESOME there! But I don’t do much of that. 1/8” Wool Felt OP Wads With my Grease Groove, and Paper Patch Bullets is the CLEAR Winner for me, in all of my Testing

Last edited:
I have read of Ranges, And Shoots that Don’t Allow the LDPE Wads, Which is Totally understandable, They end up all over the Ground For no telling how many Eons?

But they SURE Seal a Bore NICE N SNUG, The Borescope Pic i took above clearly shows it

Mr Lewis
I use to use the reg. .50 cal wool wads and the Nitro cards as well BUT ever sense I took your advice and tried the .54 cal wool wads in my .50 cal ML I have found that my shot groups are alot better and have tightened up at more than acceptable now thank you sir I can always count on getting great helpful advice from you. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Great photos! I often use an op wad. In the woods it's always a felt wad - I punch them out at home - and they work extremely well. At the range and general plinking I just use - ready for this? - toilet paper. It never burns or smolders, seals the bore and it's (or used to be) readily available. I've used cotton balls from time to time along with hornets nest and they all work nicely.

Been a long time since i been shooting,can you get the wool wads for 45 cal ML pretty much any gun shop? Thanks for the pics very interesting!! What part of Idaho you in My general contractor brother in law is in Eagle Idaho,he is a huntin fool to.

Great photos! I often use an op wad. In the woods it's always a felt wad - I punch them out at home - and they work extremely well. At the range and general plinking I just use - ready for this? - toilet paper. It never burns or smolders, seals the bore and it's (or used to be) readily available. I've used cotton balls from time to time along with hornets nest and they all work nicely.
So that's where all that toilet paper is going????😹😹😹👍👍

If you can't get th
Been a long time since i been shooting,can you get the wool wads for 45 cal ML pretty much any gun shop? Thanks for the pics very interesting!! What part of Idaho you in My general contractor brother in law is in Eagle Idaho,he is a huntin fool to.
em at the store, you can order them on the classified here from FG...Jon.

Latest posts

Back