Point of Impact Shifting - need help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbygunner

Reaction score
Took my T/C Endeavor out this weekend to sight in as I had removed the scope for an out of state hunt, where optics cannot be used, earlier this year, and recently re-mounted the Leupold VX-3 2.5x8 the rifle had been wearing. Gathered my stuff Sunday morning and headed out. Long story short, my pet load (110 grains BH 209, 275 graing PBE's, Rem STS Primers), which had previously been a 1" MOA load, was all over the place. After 8 shots I decided to put it away, as I knew there was no sense in trying to make adjustments until I figured out the problem. All the shots were in about a 4" group at 100 yards, one shot high, the next low, the following shot left, then right, you get the picture.
Two thoughts: 1. Scope out of alignment? 2. I removed the factory sights before I re-mounted the scope, could this affect accuracy?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

There are several possibilities.
#1 when you mount or sight in or replace a scope it needs to be all the way toward the butt of the gun, otherwise recoil will slide it back changing the POI as it does so.
# 2 If the gun has been taken down and you did not torque the screws right on the mechanism or the fore arm, under or over torque on this gun will cause problems. Pillar bedding the screws on the forearm will help a lot if you do not have a torque wrench.
#3 check your action with the gun open if you have play between the two haves you may need a +1 pin from Belm.
#4 There is a screw in the wrist of the pistol grip that holds the stock on to the action if it loosens it can cause this problem.
#5 If the scope has been dropped or bent r some times for no good reason they just go out.
#6 if there is any trash between the scope and mounts or between the mounts and the gun or if there is any screws even a little loose it can do this.

Lee, the gun and load were shooting lights out prior to removing the scope. Have Bellm pin already, stock is tight, bases are tight as well as rings. Never had change in impact from removing forearm, try to snug them evenly and consistently but just guessing. How tight should the ring screws be. I really screwed them down tight, to the point they may be too tight. Thoughts?

Try taking the forearm back off and and this time only get the screws good and snug. If this works take a permanent marker and make a small mark at the screw slot/forearm. The next time you remove it/reinstall it, line up the slot to the mark and you'll get it close to the same torque.

stinkworm said:
Try taking the forearm back off and and this time only get the screws good and snug. If this works take a permanent marker and make a small mark at the screw slot/forearm. The next time you remove it/reinstall it, line up the slot to the mark and you'll get it close to the same torque.

I do the same BUT i need to put the same screw back in the same hole . At least my screws are a little deferent and the treads are not lined up to the slots on top the same .

Back