Black Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Gunsmith

Reaction score
I have just been reading some of the post here where Goex is going out of business or there either selling out . I see some post some of my fellow muzzleloading folks here cant buy black powder because it sells faster than they can get it on the shelves or they just cant get it. I custom build and shoot flintlocks and they dont wont to fire on anything but the original black powder . I make my own black powder for my own use and its legal to do so here where i live and it works great i even reloaded some of my colt 45 shells with the black powder i made no problems like i was saying it shoots great in flintlocks and in my single action 45. I have made my own black powder for quite sometime now just wondered if anyone else makes there own powder or thought about it its really an easy process. For those who like shooting original black powder and cant get it maybe somthing you would want to think about. Theres nothing wrong with the other imitation powders these old flintlocks just dont want to fire with it . Thank you all for viewing this post and thank you for your time.

I know it can be done but I think it's not a good idea to promote it on the internet. Some people will be very careful and follow all safety precautions just by their nature. Some people couldnt care less for safety and just want to hurry up and get it done or play around. That is their nature and I have seen way too much of it to even suggest making black powder. I know some guys do it successfully but really, the way people are now, common sense is not a flower that grows in everyone's garden.

Schuetzen powder is around and can be had by mail order, you just have to look for it. They have pledged to support us. I recently wound up with 20 pounds due to a double order by mistake. I now have a lifetime supply. If you are the kind that simply MUST have Goex because it is American made or whatever, good luck with that.

I lived for 20 years in New Durham, NH. We had a State fish hatchery in town called Powder Mill Hatchery. It was sighted on property that had been a black powder factory, unfortunately it “blew up” twice and was never rebuilt.
Too dangerous for me, if I can’t find black, I will buy the substitute. Powder mfg is dangerous. Check out what happened to the guy who invented Pyrodex! Not for me. Good luck to you if you try.

I know it can be done but I think it's not a good idea to promote it on the internet. Some people will be very careful and follow all safety precautions just by their nature. Some people couldnt care less for safety and just want to hurry up and get it done or play around. That is their nature and I have seen way too much of it to even suggest making black powder. I know some guys do it successfully but really, the way people are now, common sense is not a flower that grows in everyone's garden.

Schuetzen powder is around and can be had by mail order, you just have to look for it. They have pledged to support us. I recently wound up with 20 pounds due to a double order by mistake. I now have a lifetime supply. If you are the kind that simply MUST have Goex because it is American made or whatever, good luck with that.
Im sorry Yank if i ruffled any feathers that was not my intention.

Powder can be had, certainly takes more effort than before and patience. Get on sites, like grafs and click product request stock notification when it's in stock ACT IMMEDIATELY buy what you can. The Swiss and German powders are arriving pretty regularly. As for Goex plant it has been bought and should resume operating this year, I expect we see product by 2023. Lastly I've made powder, carefully, as proof of concept only to determine could I if I REALLY needed. Yup its doable yup its dirty yup its Dangerous 😳. Every professional powder plant with hundred years of knowledge and experience have bad accidents periodically...... 💥 💥 heck even one of the most prolific "home brewer" I know of , eventually met his demise in his very safe powder shed.

No offense taken. I love doing and making my own supplies,I cast lead balls, make knife handles from deer antlers, and have an ongoing powder horn project. That is one of the perks of muzzleloading to me. It’s just that I know my limitations, and I am nowhere near careful enough to mess around making black powder.
I remember the time I tried to rewire a chandelier with two switches. Almost burnt down my house. I call an electrician now, wisdom or fear, could be either, or both!

Attachments

• 5C156B00-2B5E-4DCF-9ABA-834A62114577.jpeg
    5C156B00-2B5E-4DCF-9ABA-834A62114577.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 0
Powder can be had, certainly takes more effort than before and patience. Get on sites, like grafs and click product request stock notification when it's in stock ACT IMMEDIATELY buy what you can. The Swiss and German powders are arriving pretty regularly. As for Goex plant it has been bought and should resume operating this year, I expect we see product by 2023. Lastly I've made powder, carefully, as proof of concept only to determine could I if I REALLY needed. Yup its doable yup its dirty yup its Dangerous 😳. Every professional powder plant with hundred years of knowledge and experience have bad accidents periodically...... 💥 💥 heck even one of the most prolific "home brewer" I know of , eventually met his demise in his very safe powder shed.
Thanks Lonewalker i will check out Grafs and im going to check with maine powder house as well and a few others that i can find i dont mind useing the German or Swiss powders thanks for the info.

FYI...…Was talking with Dixie Gun works in Union City TN a few days ago and they said someone was in the process of purchasing and reopening the GOEX facility in Louisiana and if things go well (GOV red tape) they should be back in production by fall of 2022....

FYI...…Was talking with Dixie Gun works in Union City TN a few days ago and they said someone was in the process of purchasing and reopening the GOEX facility in Louisiana and if things go well (GOV red tape) they should be back in production by fall of 2022....

Estes Model Rockets bought it and are in the process of updating the facility to make it safer. According to their Press Release, they will continue to support the Muzzle Loading community with powder. The first batch won't be available until the end of 2022. I don't expect it to be under $30 per can.

Thanks!

Walt

Estes Model Rockets bought it and are in the process of updating the facility to make it safer. According to their Press Release, they will continue to support the Muzzle Loading community with powder. The first batch won't be available until the end of 2022. I don't expect it to be under $30 per can.

Thanks!

Walt
I hope this is true! I love their Triple 7fff!

I use T-7, like most people use KETCHUP on food. it is true about the 3 od 4 patch clean up! PYRO. is bad JU JU.

I prefer Pyrodex to T7 in my cap guns IF I can’t find real black. I think it cleans up easier than T7

yes it is about a 3 or 4 patch clean up. and I use it in my rock lock & my rope lock, with 10 grains of black ahead of the T-7. it works just great for me, try it if you haven't already. toot.

Latest posts

Back