Not necessarily new, but cheap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Monkey

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been fielded somewhere here before, but I'm going to ask it again anyhow.

Seems I came into this great "deal" of Pyrodex pellets for my .54 caliber...60 grains per pellet. Two of them seem a bit much; and I've had better luck with the 90/100 grain volume of powder.

My question is this: Can I load 30 grains of Pyrodex powder followed by one pellet? I have read that pellets are more difficult to ignite, but I've never had any problem, and I'm using regular #11 caps.

I'm shooting currently the Barnes Expander MZ 325 grains and getting good accuracy with 90 grains T7 in a MK85. Just looking for a way to burn up these pellets I got, probably not hunting, but just was wondering if the powder/pellets could mix.

Since you are shooting #11 caps I would shoot loose powder. I am not sure but isn't the 30 grain a .50 caliber and the 60 grain the .54 caliber? I really am not sure if you can mix the two.

No, not two pellets. I'm asking if I can shoot 30 grns of loose powder followed by a 60 grn pellet. Mixing the two. I already have the pellets, and wish to use them up, but with a lighter load. Once the pellets are gone, it's strictly back to loose powder. I just got the pellets for next to nothing...and that's the cheap part.

I don't see where it would hurt anything. Maybe start with a pellet on top of ten grains of powder and see how it does. They're both pyrodex. I've heard of people putting 10 grains of blackpowder under a charge of pyrodex to get better ignition. Never tried it myself though, and have never used the pellets.

No problem!I,ve used loose powder and free pellets in sidelocks with no problems what soi ever.Done it with both cleanshot and t7pellets.I would only use for plinking though and remember the pellets are actually a little less than 50 grain compred to loose powder.If it works in a sideklock it will surely go bang in a inline.

Latest posts

Back