bought a new Accura today!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
went to bass pro and found an accura in the clearance section... had to buy it and now just wondering what a good starting load is? its 45 cal thumbhole stock and i have some 45 shockwaves, jsg loose 2fg and triple seven primers and cci primers... just thinkin prolly start at about 80 grains or so and work up. what have yall been shooting in this gun?

I think im the only Accura 45 owner on the board...or at least was. :D

Ive been using mostly 90-110gr but 80gr is a good starting point with 180gr bullets. Lehigh 185s do need a bit more though to stabilize.

Most of my best groups with common 40cal weights are using 90gr of BH209 and MMP sabots. T7 should give comparable results or even better with lighter bullets.

I also highly prefer the MMP tan sabots except for the hottest loads. Using 110gr loads and heavy 40s i prefer the Harvester CrushRibs. Ive shot everything from Barnes 10mm 155gr XPBs to a custom .401 260gr Meister cast RNFPs in sabots.

The best conical ive shot so far has been the Precision Rifle Ultimate QT 360gr and 90grs. The Powerbelt Plat 300gr with 100gr has also been very accurate.

I prefer the heavier 40s but most are very expensive. A good practice heavy 40 is the Xtreme 220gr plated RNFP and 100gr.

im gonna try the shockwaves 200gr and xtp 180 gr. with app powder prolly start at 90-100 grains just see what they do. most my shooting is 100 yards or less but you just never know. really looking at the barnes expander mz and also the new thor maybe. will have to try them... would really love to get some bh209 but just seems so expensive.

would really love to get some bh209 but just seems so expensive.

But a buck a bullet for Barnes and Thors is ok? :D

Hint: buy GoldDots then the cost of BH209 will be offset by the cheaper bullets. ;)

IF you can find the GoldDot 180gr it is a very good bullet for many applications. Combine it with T7 and you have a very affordable option and similar fps as BH209.

Swabbing between shots is the only issue i dont like but im giving it a try again until i can get another great deal on a case of BH209.

I think Wideners still has the 40-180gr GoldDots in stock but you would need to buy 2 boxes to offset the $5 shipping. They have the 200gr XTPs too. Even though the 40-180gr GoldDot isnt my first choice for hunting, i wouldnt feel under gunned if i needed to use it on deer.

BTW i WAS a diehard SST/FTX fan until i did head to head comparisons on targets and my media. Now i prefer GoldDots as an affordable option.

GM54-120 said:
would really love to get some bh209 but just seems so expensive.

But a buck a bullet for Barnes and Thors is ok? :D

Hint: buy GoldDots then the cost of BH209 will be offset by the cheaper bullets. ;)

Da bootlit does da killin!

Back