Some new lead -

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Got this big chuck of pipe from a forum member of mine. It weighed 5lbs 10oz and is soft lead. I cut it up into strips the other day and today i finally heated up the stove and started casting. I got 200 .490 175gr round balls out of the entire 5lbs.

Does that sound right? i figured 5lbs would cast more than 200 balls

lead004.jpg

leadpipeballs002.jpg

that should be about right... 7000 grains in a pound = 40 ball per poound X 5 = 200 (does that sound right?)

Well, a .490 lead ball weighs about 176 grains, and there are 7,000 grains in a pound.

So, 200 balls times 176 grains per ball gives you a total of 35,200 grains. Divide that by 7,000 and you get 5.029 lbs. Looks like it came out exactly right.

Works for me!

This really helped my lead supply. I'll be saving up all my lead and try to cut back on shooting. Its hurting my wallet right now.

They did come out real shiny. My last batch i quenched in cold water and they took on a dull finish.

One other thing, I thought that gas fitting was brass. I looked in my pot after i drained it and it wasnt in there! Must have been lead as well.

Latest posts

Back