binoculars

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
Seems strange so little is discussed about binoculars here. Next to my weapon they are my most important piece of equipment. Sadly my favorite brand is no longer made (Brunton). I still use them and they are still in great shape but should they bite the dust i won't be able to get them repaired or replaced. They had an EXCELLENT lifetime warranty. I obtained a pair of Pentax on the recommendation of a professional guide and outfitter. I am quite impressed. Time will tell how they stand up to use. I really need to get a Crooked Horn harness for them. That and a "Bino Rain Wrap" work great for hunting and bird watching. I have a Badlands harness. I really dislike this thing and especially since they cost half a fortune. Yes they protect the optics well but are cumbersome to use and uncomfortable to have on while driving. If I can't see em I can't shoot em!

I keep it simple, 8x32 Steiner predator binos. Small, light weight and I made a nice traditional leather belt pouch for them. I wrap the front lenses in a micro cloth to keep dust off of them and have the ability to clean them in the field. Gotta have binos with open sight muzzle loaders!

FrontierGander said:
Hey what part of Wyoming you from anyway?
Originally I am from Montana. I grew up in Great Falls but lived in several places after I graduated high school. I got my B.A. from MSU in Bozeman. Lived in Helena, Kailspell, Glendive, Darby and Billings  Currently and most likely permanently I live in Sheridan WY.

I also have a set of Steiner Predators.  I really like them for stillhunting in timber since I don't have to constantly focus them.  These were all I used for years.  My only complaint about them is the eyepiece cover, if you don't fold it down clear under the binos your breath will be deflected straight onto the lenses and instantly fog them up.  I ended up taking some really small zip ties and attaching it with them long enough that I can fold it clear under to avoid the fogging issue.  I've gotten used to doing this and don't have to consciously think about it anymore.  They stay on nicely in the field though and protect them pretty well in the brush.
I recently bought a set of Bushnell Elites in 10x.  The extra magnification is nice for open country hunting.  I also use them for archery 3D shoots too, since seeing the x ring on some of the targets at 50+ yards can be challenging with the 8x Steiners.  The extra magnification really helps out since my eyes aren't what they used to be 5 years ago.  These have some pretty darn good glass in them, it takes quite a substantial time before I start feeling some eye strain.  The eyepiece cover on these is pretty much totally worthless for carrying in the field, as they are simply a slip on style that easily fall off.  They also require a set distance so that the eyepiece distance from each other has to be in a specific position, which of course doesn't match the distance I need them at when looking through them.  Kind of disappointing to buy binos in this price range and get an eyepiece cover that a 5th grader could've designed better.

I'm all-in for using binoculars.   I always carry a super compact monocular when I bowhunt, but my favorite go-to for still hunting is VANGUARD'S Endeavor 10.5 x 45 ED. Hard to beat the quality for less than $400.

I don't use them. I still hunt the dark timber and using binos is too much movement.

I'm a retired PH.  I have seen all kinds of glass from several countries of origin. The one stand-out is Leica.  The most value for the money is the Leupold with a Lifetime Warranty that can't be beat.  There are some good models from Vortex, Swarovski and others, but for my money I will go with the best of the best (Leica) or the best service/durability/warranty and best glass-to-price ratio (Leupold).

Back