270 winchester ammo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
been looking at ammo for the elite 270. remington, winchester and hornady namely. Taking hornady 130 light magnum seriously. 3200 FPS at the muzzle.
anyone use this bullet?

thanks

You know...I've never taken any "Light Magnum" type ammo seriously. The slightly more than 100fps muzzle velocity gain means absolutely nothing in a .270 Winchester. The 130gr Interbond is certainly a good bullet though, probably a little overkill in a .270 Win as practically every .277 cal bullet was designed for the .270 Win. Were I in the market for .270 Winchester ammo I'd probably grab a box of 130gr Remington Core-Lokts and a box of the Hornady 140gr BTSP....I'd hunt with whichever grouped the best..

I own and shoot 3 different 270s and have had good accuracy and performance with the 130 gr Rem core loct. I use Jack O'Conners proven hand load and have never looked back.

I have a .270. My uncle handloads for it. A good cartridge, Jack O'Connor loved it. The light mags I have not used, I do not think one can easily duplicate that load as I understand they use a special powder and process.
You could try a box for accuracy, if a deer is hit in the boiler room with the .270 it will be a very dead deer.

I shot Hornady .270 Light Mag 130 gr. SST's for several years and really liked them. They were very accurate at 100 yds. in my Rem. 700.
Around 3 years ago I could not find this bullet so I switched to Hornady 140 gr SST's in their regular load and have had just as much success with this bullet both target shooting and shooting deer. Both loads shot tight patterns for me at 100 yds.
Even if I could find the Light Mag 130 gr. SST's I would pass on them to buy the less expensive standard Hornady 140 gr. SST's. I really can't tell the difference in these two bullets when my rifle is sighted in for the bullet I am shooting.
Where I hunt, most shots on deer are less than 150 yds. If I were hunting where 300 or 400 yd. shots are normal I might change my mind and go back to the Light Mag if I could find them, but I really doubt it.

I shoot 140 gr. TBBC in Fed. Premium.They don't group the best outta my S&W .270 but they sure knock the heck outta bear,deer and moose that I've shot with them.

big6x6 said:
You know...I've never taken any "Light Magnum" type ammo seriously. The slightly more than 100fps muzzle velocity gain means absolutely nothing in a .270 Winchester. The 130gr Interbond is certainly a good bullet though, probably a little overkill in a .270 Win as practically every .277 cal bullet was designed for the .270 Win. Were I in the market for .270 Winchester ammo I'd probably grab a box of 130gr Remington Core-Lokts and a box of the Hornady 140gr BTSP....I'd hunt with whichever grouped the best..

Well said. Light Magnum is just a sales pitch. If you reload, you can safely tailor your own hot loads that your rifle likes. Light Magmun recipes are a tight secret, and you will be hard pressed to exactly mirror the results. Like big6x6 said, 130gr Core-lokts will get the job done. Myself, I like to handload 140gr SST's. They have never let me done.

ive never used anything other than standard 130 g. softpoint ammo in my .270. in fact, i reload using hornady 130 g. spirepoints. not even a boattail. accuracy is great, and ive never lost a deer with it

the standard remington green box 130 g. .270 ammo works real well in my gun, too.

270 ammo

I exclusively shoot Winchester Supreme 130gr in my Weatherby Vangaurd 270win chamber. I use to use the Hornady light mags but could only manage 1&1/4" to 1&1/2" groups at 100yds. I then reloaded amoo for a couple of years and managed to get my groups down to 3/4" at 100yds. At the recomendation of a friend, I tried the Winchester supreme. First trip out, I got a 3 shot 1/2" group at 100yds. My best group with this ammo to date is a .65" 3 shot group at 200yds. This was all done on a solid rifle rest with ideal conditions. The only mods to this rifle are a free floating barrel and reworked trigger. I only shoot this rifle a few shots before deer season to make sure it is zeroed, and take and pack into the field looking for a monster. It is pointless for me to reload for it when i can buy over the counter ammo that shoots that good. If I were to reload for this rifle again, I would just copy the load for this ammo.

Back