Loose Powder accessories

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Mol

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 50 cal. Triumph and Omega and both are shooting great groups at 100yrds with T-7 pellets/primers and 250gr SW's. I love shooting both guns but I'm tired of overspending just for range fun. I just purchased a lb each of T7 fffg and ffg while at Cabelas yesterday. I have a few questions on the best way to handle loose at the range:

- what is recommended for a powder dispenser? A guy at Cabelas told me to buy a brass powder measure but I think a see-thru is better?

- what is the best way to load the powder from the 1 lb bottle into the volumetric dispenser? I saw some funnels that look like they snap on to the top of the powder bottles or is it best to load some sort of large capacity intermediate powder dispenser that has a funnel built into it?

-I want to shoot some inexpensive pistols bullets using black 50 caliber crush rib Harvesters. For hunting, I'll stick with SW's if they group, otherwise I'll try a better bullet like a Nosler, but for range use I rather use decent inexpensive ammo. What do you recommend?

BTW, I've read many reports on Blackhorn but Cabelas didn't have any available so when they do, I'll try it as well

Thanks

Get yourself a T/C U-View powder measure and the T/C red threaded funnel/cap and you will be in business. Don't get that orange CVA funnel/cap, it only snaps on the threads.

+1, Busta Knows. I have a black funnel top that is threaded to. Lee

J.Mol,

I'm pretty sure that cap is threaded and screws on. I think it is the one that Lee 9 is talking about. I couldn't get the description to come up, but they might have meant that the STOPPER snaps on. T/C also makes a smaller diameter spout for Black powder cans.

CVA snap on cap. Does not screw down onto jug.
AC1385.jpg

http://www.cva.com/loading.html

These are the ones I was talking about. You would want the red #7223 for Blackhorn 209, Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, APP, etc,. This cap threads on, and has a snap in STOPPER. They are not to scale in the picture, the red one is much larger in diameter than that black one.

7223-7221spouts.jpg

http://www.tcarms.com/store/powder-spou ... -7223.html

This is the T/C U-View powder measure #7222.

7222Medium.jpg

http://www.tcarms.com/store/u-view-powd ... -7222.html

I'd have a hard time snapping or screwing something on a lb. of BH209 with a chance it could get knocked over with the cap undone. That stuff is 35. bucks a pound.

I've been using one of these for years. Fill it up an put your lid back on your lb. bottle an leave it at home. This outfit is goof proof and will fit in your measurer or tube.

CVA TITAN FLASK

http://www.rrarms.com/products.php?prod=CVA1386

The U-VIEW does look pretty cool, but in time I'd guess it would look as black as the inside of my brass one. Personal preference but make sure you get one with the cut off funnel on it.

I recently picked up some tubes, at 36 CENTS each. Check em' out.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting ... tubes.html

gunrac said:
I'd have a hard time snapping or screwing something on a lb. of BH209 with a chance it could get knocked over with the cap undone. That stuff is 35. bucks a pound.<deleted>

You WISH BH209 was $35/lb... more like $35/ 10oz or $56/lb.. LOL

Brian

thatguy said:
gunrac said:
I'd have a hard time snapping or screwing something on a lb. of BH209 with a chance it could get knocked over with the cap undone. That stuff is 35. bucks a pound.<deleted>

You WISH BH209 was $35/lb... more like $35/ 10oz or $56/lb.. LOL

Brian

WOW DUDE, your right. I had just run out of RS an thought I would try the BH 209. I called an asked the price for a lb. an was told 34.99. Just called again to verify, WOW!

You all can have fun with it. To rich for my blood. I know I can get the Select for 21. a lb. I'll suffer an keep on swabbin. What the hay, gives me something to do while I'm waitin for the barrel to cool.

You may want to get some small plastic vials or containers that you can use to store your measured loads at home. It'll save you a lot of time at the range.

I know some guys on this site were selling them or could provide you a link to order them.

I'll give a big thumbs up to the U-View powder measure as well. I've been using the same one for about 8 years and I love it. It won't blacken from powder, and about the only issue I ever had with it is the plunger can get kind of bound up by powder dust and needs an occassional cleaning. I believe someone still makes a see-thru powder flask as well - I have used them for just as long, but the valve will get a little finicky so it needs to be cleaned out about once a year and all is good to go

Getting some kind of load tubes is a good idea for hunting, that way you have quicker access to a 2nd shot. An old favorite for these was the old 35mm camera film canisters - but those are kinda old fashioned now with the onset of them new fangled digital cameras :lol: If you use, or know someone who does use, Pyro pellets in the plastic tubes - those are perfect for a speedloader - as are the tubes that Precision rifles packs their bullets in too.

This will highlight my cheap gene...

For an intermediate powder holder/dispenser I bought a plastic ketsup squeeze bottle dispenser. Cup the tip to provide a nice size hole, comes with a snap on cap to plug the tip. Holds quite a bit of powder...more than I shoot in a session. 99 cents at Wally World.

Plastic vials (from Lane) are good to hold premeasured charges and speed reloading while hunting.

OptimaAndy said:
what are you guys using for a scale to weigh your powder?

I measure by volume, it's just to easy going this route. I have checked my vol. measure to actual wt. measure and found that my vol. measurer does throw a bit heavy. I think it's 6 gn. I still find this inmaterial as I'm not going after max load. Once I get past 1800 fps, I start losing accuracy anyways. My honey spot load of RS is running around 1660 fps. Plenty enough to kill any deer in my area.

Good read below compairing volume measure to weight measures.

The traditional method of measuring black powder is by volume.

By actual weight, it is not the same. 100 grains measured by volume of Goex FFg is about 101.3 grains by weight. 100 grains measured by volume of Pyrodex RS is about 72.5 grains by weight. Pyrodex is where confusion can start to set in, as the standard "F" designations of powder coarseness start to go out the window.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/difference_black_powders.htm

Thanks alot guys, I may just leave the bottles at home and use an intermediate powder dispenser for the U-view for range use and pre-measured tubes for hunting.

Latest posts

Back