.50 White MTN.carbine 1/20 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k

Reaction score
how about some load suggestions for this short barrel smokepole....karl

120 grains ffg swiss black powder - 300 grain Barnes Expander MZ I get 1? group at 100 yards. If this is your first time shooting this ML you will have to work up a load, trying different bullet weights and brands and different powder charges and brands. With that fast of twist you will not get good accuracy with a round ball.

Thor bullets would probably do great with that twist. Im just concerned about if your TC has a tight undersized bore. I cant use the thors in 2 of my rifles as they are .498 and .499" while thor bullets only go down to .500"

Powerbelt is also another choice.

Pretty much could try all the conicals you can find.

Sabots would be pretty easy once you found the correct sabot.

Those White Mountain Carbines had a short barrel, so large powder charges will do you little good. I would not use anything over 100 grains. 80 would be where I would look.

I would look into some conicals or sabots. If I wanted to shoot sabots, then I would look at a 300 grain XTP in a green harvester sabot. Get the .430 diameter. Try them. Another thing you could try is the 250 grain Shockwaves.

As for conicals, there are maxiball, great plains conicals, and if you know the bore size, BullShop will custom size them for you to the barrel. They should shoot good in around a 460 grain. And that with 80 grains will stop anything you want to shoot at.

Like they said, with that fast twist, roundballs would have to be shot with a very light powder charge for any kind of accuracy. And then you will not get much distance.

Look at the different conicals you see in adds. See if one appeals to you.

white mountain carbine

Just checked the T/C site, they have the white mountain carbine with
a 1:38 twist. Just wondering if they made a 1:20 and a 1:38 in that model????? Haven't shot mine in quite some time, got great accuracy and great performance on deer using Buffalo Bullets 302 gr saboted hollow point lead bullet.

from what i was told on another site the older white mtn. carbine's were all 1/20 twist then later went to 1/38".this is going to go with me on the next range day along with a scoped .54 renegade.i'm sure it will be a BLAST :lol: ....karl

thats what i did,it's 1/20,heading out now to shoot!!!!....karl

Latest posts

Back