300gr. .44 cal xtp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger8mm

Reaction score
used the crushed rib sabot and 300gr. .44 cal xtp out of my knight wolverine. 120 gr. of pryo rs. got 2 inch groups. any body get better with this bullet? anybody got a better load?

I shoot the 300 grain .44 caliber XTP with the green harvester crushed rib sabot all the time. It is one of my favorite bullet/sabot combinations. A 2 inch group is not all that bad in my book. But depending on the barrel length of the Wolverine (I have two of them and both have a 22 inch barrel) you might be pushing too much powder on that. Try backing it off to 80 grains and work it up from there. Your shooting a max load out of that rifle. Many rifles do not shoot well with max powder charges. There normally is a happy medium.

There is a lot of hype out here that we have to shoot large powder charges in order to harvest an animal. That is just bull hockey. When I hunt deer, I seldom if ever go over 100 grains. 80-90 grains for me is much more common. Now granted, I am not shooting 150 yards or more, but I would shoot out to that distance if I had to. I once was shooting 150 yards one day at a paper plate, with my Black Diamond. 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grain Shockwave was very accurate. Lethal? I would hate to be on the other end of that.

trigger8mm

This just me, but I would suggest either a .452/250 Speer Gold or even the .452/300 grain Gold Dot over the XTP. Problem will be finding any Gold Dots right now.

The Gold Dot is a bounded bullet and can not separate the lead from the copper as can an XTP.

I shoot both bullets with 110 grains of T7-2f, they both like to be pushed. The 250 is an excellent whitetail bulet and easily shot to 150/175 yards without sight adjustments. If you want to extend that range then the 300 grain Gold Dot will certainly do that.

Here is a picture of some rcovered Gold Dots. These were recovered from a wet clay bank @ 100 yards. This is a torture test on bullets - shooting an animal is not a tough on a bullet as shooting dirt.

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

Here is the same test with Hornady's

GD-XTPComp.jpg

trigger8mm said:
used the crushed rib sabot and 300gr. .44 cal xtp out of my knight wolverine. 120 gr. of pryo rs. got 2 inch groups. any body get better with this bullet? anybody got a better load?

My Omega shoots the same bullet and sabot, and whilst using 105g BH209. With peep sights i have shot near 2" group.

The barrel of my Accura likes the E-Z load high pressure sabot more better than the crush rib, and scoped it shoots 1" groups using the 105g BH209 load.

I am very much looking forward to using this load to kill some deer this coming season. The bullet has a high published ballistic coefficient compared to some pointy prettier bullets, and my testing shows it does fly pretty much as though the published # is close to actual value. I think it will really smuck deer too.

I also am a fan of the 300 xtp with green harvesters. my gun will shoot 1 groups with these. I have had excellent results with it on deer as well. I am not opposed to trying other bullets, for right now with all the shortages and cost inflation ill stick with these for the up coming years. Just before i deployed here to iraq i ordered some 300 gr mag .45s. I plan on trying them this year if they are accurate for me . Anyone use the mags. I know they will not open up as quick but maybe for a shoulder shot they would be good? [/quote]

ive tested the 300gr xtp and it held up great. There are better bullets and such but the xtp is just fine

The .44/300 XTP with the green Crush Rib is my favorite combo for my scoped inlines. It is accurate and very effective on game. I have killed quite a few deer with it and have never recovered a bullet. I would not hesitate to hunt elk with that bullet.

I have purchased it recently in bulk for less than $13.00 per box of 50. That is only 26 cents per bullet. I now have a lifetime supply.

In the past I have used the expensive "designer" bullets that come in blister packs of 20 bullets or less and cost over a buck apiece. They didn't kill deer any better than the XTP's, were not any more accurate, and the expense was such that I only bought a few. When I ran out, I could never find more of the same kind easily available when I needed them.

So I wound up trying something in a different blister pack, and eventually had a box with 4 or 5 of each kind left over and just used them for plinking because there were not enough of one kind to standardize on.

When I started using the 44/300 XTP, my search was over. They are inexpensive but accurate and deadly. They are readily available in bulk. They work just fine up to 200 yards if you know what you are doing.

The .44/300 XTP IS a magnum bullet. There is no such thing as a regular XTP in .44 caliber. The .44/300 has better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than the .452 version and will give a slightly flatter trajectory and should penetrate slightly better than the .452.

I use 100 grs. of BH209, or 777, or Pyrodex, or whatever. Groups from my Disk Extremes run from 3/4" to 1 1/2", depending on the loose nut that is pulling the trigger.

To much

I used my wolverine for a long long time. I had lots of range time with it. You have the right bullet but way to much powder. I use 90gr regular pyro or 80gr 777.

You will shoot 1inch groups all day with this load. You are good out to atleast 125yrds.

I have to concur with knightfan, The shorter Knight barrels do not like heavy powder loads like that.

In mine, a 300gr sabot gets 80gr of 2fg 777 and will shoot sub 1" groups all day long while producing 1500fps at the muzzle - more than enough for killing anything short of Godzilla out to 125yds.

so too much powder. ok just trying to get a flater traj. any bullets shoot with the mag loads?

The trick is matching bullet weight, powder charge, and barrel twist.
I think every rifle has a sweet spot velocity-wise and as long as your load runs at that speed you're good.

My 22" USAK likes that 1500fps range. 80gr of 777 gives me that with 300gr sabots, 90gr of 777 with 350gr sabots does all well, as does 100gr of 777 with a 400gr sabot. All are within that 1400-1600 fps area and all cut tiny groups out to 100 yards.

If I add powder to those bullets or use a different weight bullet with that much powder, accuracy starts going away. You just have to find what your rifle likes and feed it that way and it will take care of you.

cayuga said:
Try backing it off to 80 grains and work it up from there. Your shooting a max load out of that rifle. Many rifles do not shoot well with max powder charges. There normally is a happy medium.

There is a lot of hype out here that we have to shoot large powder charges in order to harvest an animal. That is just bull hockey.

+1 on this. Would anyone doubt that an old 45/70 would drop any deer at 150 yds? 80-100 grains with a 300gr bullet will hit them like a freight train.

wildhobbybobby said:
The .44/300 XTP with the green Crush Rib is my favorite combo for my scoped inlines. It is accurate and very effective on game. I have killed quite a few deer with it and have never recovered a bullet. I would not hesitate to hunt elk with that bullet.

I have purchased it recently in bulk for less than $13.00 per box of 50. That is only 26 cents per bullet. I now have a lifetime supply.

In the past I have used the expensive "designer" bullets that come in blister packs of 20 bullets or less and cost over a buck apiece. They didn't kill deer any better than the XTP's, were not any more accurate, and the expense was such that I only bought a few. When I ran out, I could never find more of the same kind easily available when I needed them.

So I wound up trying something in a different blister pack, and eventually had a box with 4 or 5 of each kind left over and just used them for plinking because there were not enough of one kind to standardize on.

When I started using the 44/300 XTP, my search was over. They are inexpensive but accurate and deadly. They are readily available in bulk. They work just fine up to 200 yards if you know what you are doing.

The .44/300 XTP IS a magnum bullet. There is no such thing as a regular XTP in .44 caliber. The .44/300 has better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than the .452 version and will give a slightly flatter trajectory and should penetrate slightly better than the .452.

I use 100 grs. of BH209, or 777, or Pyrodex, or whatever. Groups from my Disk Extremes run from 3/4" to 1 1/2", depending on the loose nut that is pulling the trigger.

I wanted to try the .430 300xtp but never did. I got great groups from the SST's and quit there. The 300 .452 sst actually has a slightly better bc than the .430 300 xtp....250 versus .245...negligible really. Like you said..the sectional density of the .430/300 is great! I can get the sst's with sabot for 41 cents each per 100+(5 box) and the .430/300.
for about 22 cents/ per 250+ (5 box)
I always figured the accuracy potential wouldnt be there due to the thicker green sabot....so I never gave them a good try....your post has inspired me to try them. :D

Back