TO SHOOT OR NOT TO SHOOT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DW

Reaction score
Like an opinion on a mature buck on the farm me and one other guy hunt. This buck apparently had an injury within his first 2 years, the reason I believe he was injured is because there are no other bucks with the same characteristics as this deer in our area. The first year I spotted him he had a typical 5 pts. on his left beam and a brow tine and regular length beam on the right, no other points or nubs, I judged him as a 2 1/2 year old deer that year, that probably would score around 120 both sides being equal. Last year he carried the same type of rack, only he would have scored in the 140's if the other beam matched. This year, same type of rack with the exception of a small fork on the end of the beam that carries just the brow tine, we are estimating him mid 160's if the sides matched. This deer would probably dress out around 250 lbs. looks like a canadian buck, he is much bigger than my buddy's deer that dressed out at 195, he is a bruiser :eek:. I know this buck is a breeder as I witnessed him chasing a doe last year in the rut. At first we wanted to get him out of the herd, thinking it was a genetic problem, now that we have watched him for 3 yrs, and haven't witnessed any other deer with the same abnormal side, I believe we should let him live, since he obviously has good genetics, based on his body and rack size, I think we should let him go to breed as many does as possible. I wouldn't mount him if I shot him and I know my buddy won't either, so I think its useless to take him out of the herd, my buddy is undecided as of now whether or not to cull him out of the herd. IMO a buck with approximately 70 inches of antler on a typical 5 side is pretty special. Whats your opinions.

Since it is not being considered a trophy, I would let him continue to breed.A healthy big buck could pass on some good genetic traits. I think you guys have hit the nail on the head considering his poor antler side an early injury. It has been proven by many deer biologists that early antler injuries have a memory affect on the same side in subsequent years.

Being that this buck would have scored really well with equal sides and that he is very healthy, let him continue to help your herd.Good luck and great story.

Latest posts

Back