BAIL SEALS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
dangerin_the_air.jpg
Here's something interesting for you guys, most have seen them at one time or another and didn't know what they were looking at.​
BAIL SEALS

BALE SEALS WERE ANOTHER ITEM VERY PLENTYFULL WHEN DIGGING ON MAJOR RIVER BANKS WHERE ITEMS WERE BEING TRANSPORTED FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. THE BALE SEAL WAS USED IN SEALING AN ITEM FOR SHIPMENT DURING THE EARLIEST TRADE THROUGH THE END OF THE WESTWARD MOVEMENT.

<div align="center">
img7.gif
BALE SEALS CAN BE FOUND IN REFERENCE BOOKS SUCH AS THE NEUMANN'S COLLECTORS ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION AND OTHER COLONIAL ERA BOOKS. THIS IS A "BALE SEAL CHART" FROM NEUMANN'S BOOK.</div>

<div align="center">[font=High Tower Text, serif]
img9.jpg

[/font]​
EARLY GROUPING OF OLD BALE SEALS FOUND NEAR PAOLI, PENNSYLVANIA IN 1930'S. BELIEVED TO DATE BACK TO OR BEFORE THE WAR OF 1812 OR EARLIER.

</div>

I have found a good many bale seals over the years during metal detecting adventures. Just saved them in with my other odd finds. Might look them up some time and post a pic. No real fancy ones though if I recall, merely round flat ones that only have a few letters or digits on them.

Bail Seals have become popular in the last few years. 10 years ago you couldn't give them away (probably because what they were only a few knew). I had hundreds of them some plain while others fancy like this small collection. Many of the beat up (damaged) ones that were plain were melted down into round balls and shot, recovered and melted again. The fancy ones were high graded then sold according to condition. Another collectible to some, junk to others.

Thanks for the info Buck......I might go back to one location where they seem to "stack up" when the creek level falls enough. That is if I'm not too old by then! LOL

I have found bale seals on the river banks by Camp Hill and Enola. Duncannon was always a good spot too. In the day there was a lot of movement of goods going both directions on the Clarke Lake River. Best finds were around Sunbury in the 50's and early 60's.

Latest posts

Back