back in the rock scratchers after 30 year layoff.

Help Support Frontier Muzzle Loading:

DeerstalkerT

FML Supporter
wife surprised me with a Pedersoli Mortimer 54 cal for my birthday. after 54 years living with me i suppose i will keep her!
all i have been shooting lately is muzzle loaders just for the relaxation of the sport. was grousing about not having a Flint lock. showed her a ad from a sister forum and she said buy it! now the loooong wait for it to get here.

Attachments

muzzleloader48

wife surprised me with a Pedersoli Mortimer 54 cal for my birthday. after 54 years living with me i suppose i will keep her!
all i have been shooting lately is muzzle loaders just for the relaxation of the sport. was grousing about not having a Flint lock. showed her a ad from a sister forum and she said buy it! now the loooong wait for it to get here.
Happy Shooting Tom.....beautiful flintlock!! Hell, my wife bought me a 50 .cal sidelock percussion for a wedding gift when we got married.

Philgumbo

Gorgeous rifle, but I'm a percussion fan........

DeerstalkerT

FML Supporter
Gorgeous rifle, but I'm a percussion fan........
i currently have 3 caplocks. this is the first rock scratcher in 30 or so years. right now i have plenty of caps, as my neighbor scored 1k for me, but if in the future i run out i won't be dependent on them. i make my own powder so i am now good to go!
i try to shoot one of my muzzle stuffers at least once a day. gets me out of washing dishes when i whine "i need to clean my 50. 54 " etc😄

muzzleloader48

i currently have 3 caplocks. this is the first rock scratcher in 30 or so years. right now i have plenty of caps, as my neighbor scored 1k for me, but if in the future i run out i won't be dependent on them. i make my own powder so i am now good to go!
i try to shoot one of my muzzle stuffers at least once a day. gets me out of washing dishes when i whine "i need to clean my 50. 54 " etc😄
We have tried making our own powder a few times, but, it just never comes out the correct way. I congratulate you on knowing how to accomplish that.

DeerstalkerT

FML Supporter
ball milling is the key. someone said if you milled it longer then 3 hours you were playing with it. he was wrong. a 12 hour mill increases strength by 50 percent
the process is so easy even a caveman (me) can do it!

toot

enjoy it. it will give you many hours of pleasure!!

DeerstalkerT

FML Supporter
my last flintlock was a TC Hawken I got third hand. it would fire , maybe, most of the time. i didn't have the patience or life lessons enough to work with it. traded it off to a mountain Gal (????) whose voice was much deeper then my own for 40 oz of silver back when silver was around 4.00 an oz. still have the silver! kinda wish i had the TC too!