Youth Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyelkhunter3006

Reaction score
I honestly think that I asked about this last year, but if I did, I can't find it. When I searched, it came up with, oh, 4000+ results, SOOO....

What do you guys recommend for a youth load in a Knight Wolverine Youth Model? 22" barrel, 209 primers. I usually shoot 777, so that's the powder of choice. The kids range from 8 years to 12 years, none of them have a lot of experience. They've shot 410's a bit, .22's and pellet guns. They shot a .243 a bit last year too.

Ranges would be 75yds or less, I won't let them shoot any further than that, as that's the distance of the range they'll be practicing on. 4x scope on the gun.

245gr Powerbelt with 60-70gr T7 would be excellent. Or even the 247gr Thor. I've been shooting 80 & 90gr charges out of a traditions evolution with the 247gr thor and recoil is like shooting a round ball.

frontier gander said:
245gr Powerbelt with 60-70gr T7 would be excellent. Or even the 247gr Thor. I've been shooting 80 & 90gr charges out of a traditions evolution with the 247gr thor and recoil is like shooting a round ball.

What FG said :wink:

60g T7 will get it done for your 75 yard range with no problem. And will be a joy to shoot for your young ones :)

I always start young or small people out with a 200gr in a 50/40 sabot with 90 gr of powder. Lee

gonna sound crazy but...

40 grains ( volume not weighed) of 3f Triple 7 and a T/C Cheap Shot.1300 fps ( chrono'd) out of my daughter's Traditions Tracker. Between her and me this rifle/load has taken 9 deer with 9 shots at ranges from 15 feet to 115 yards and all save 2 were pass throughs, including a 225 lb 8 pointer with a front quartering shot.
When I started inlining I wanted loads that roughly matched a 44 magnum revolver. It proved to be a good choice. The load is accurate, very effective and pleasant to shoot as well as very economical. 40 grains by volume weighs 32 gr so you get 218 round out of a pound of powder.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of the 60-70gr loads myself. My measure only goes down to 70gr, but I'm going to look for one that goes lower. That 40gr load with the Cheap Shot's sound really good though, it'd be hard to find a more ecomonical load (that's proven to perform on deer) than that, honestly. They also load easily in the gun, as I used them to sight in the scope previously. T/C also has that other cheap package of bullets that uses a 230gr JHP (a 45 ACP bullet?). I've got a package of them to play with too.

Back