Assigned to California

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoelks

Reaction score
I'm being assigned to Oceanside California area for about 9 months and I'd like to bring a couple of hunting guns with me for my off hours. Maybe a shotgun for quail and a rifle for deer. I've heard the stores, don't know what is true and what's not as far as my bringing a couple of guns into the state. I know it's going to be hard to get BP substitute, but what do I have to do to bring the 2 guns into California and what are the laws. Anything will help, I don't want to get to the border and be told I can't bring them into the state. Your comments and advise will be well taken and followed. I need your help. Thank you all.

Good luck my friend. Kalifornistan is about as friendly to gun owners and hunting as China. Keep safe.

Probably a safer bet is to leave your guns at home and feel out the gun climate there. then buy one for whatever species you're after, then sell it after your tenure there is over. My neighbor goes to the Redding area each year to turkey hunt with old friends and borrows one as he said it depends on who you have to deal with as far as LEOs and their interpretation of the MANY laws in Commiefornia.......Mossie

I wouldn't worry about taking a couple hunting long guns into the state, as long as they aren't AR styles that are not legal there or things like that. Handguns can be a problem though. They will stop you going into the state, and ask if you have any fruit or vegetables in your car, but that's about it at the border.

I wouldn't worry about taking a couple hunting long guns into the state, as long as they aren't AR styles that are not legal there or things like that. Handguns can be a problem though. They will stop you going into the state, and ask if you have any fruit or vegetables in your car, but that's about it at the border.
WOW! Do you mean Kalifornistan has border patrol cops at their borders? Sounds like China or Russia.

WOW! Do you mean Kalifornistan has border patrol cops at their borders? Sounds like China or Russia.
They have some stations along places like hwy. 80 where you have to drive through. Their only concern generally seems to be if you are taking certain kinds of plants and things like that. You generally just have to stop and roll down your window while they ask you a question or two about this stuff. I have no doubt they could easily expand their queries...but I have not encountered no problems with this so far. I try not to drive over there much anymore as the state has just gone crazy ! With Pelosi's nephew running things there it should give you an idea what you have to deal with..

They have some stations along places like hwy. 80 where you have to drive through. Their only concern generally seems to be if you are taking certain kinds of plants and things like that. You generally just have to stop and roll down your window while they ask you a question or two about this stuff. I have no doubt they could easily expand their queries...but I have not encountered no problems with this so far. I try not to drive over there much anymore as the state has just gone crazy ! With Pelosi's nephew running things there it should give you an idea what you have to deal with..
You know Mofish, long ago when this Chinese virus crap started, I jokingly asked if I needed my passport to go from one state to another. Kalifornistan just answered my question. God save those folks.

Actually, CA has had border checks for at least 75 years. It's hold over from CA's agricultural days, mainly citrus. The check station at Yermo on I-15 is just that , an agriculture check point, but they also monitor livestock. l left CA over 20 years ago, but at that time the ag check station at Yermo was not much more than a way to create a traffic back up for cars coming from Las Vegas. Sometimes the wait was quite long.

I'm being assigned to Oceanside California area for about 9 months and I'd like to bring a couple of hunting guns with me for my off hours. Maybe a shotgun for quail and a rifle for deer. I've heard the stores, don't know what is true and what's not as far as my bringing a couple of guns into the state. I know it's going to be hard to get BP substitute, but what do I have to do to bring the 2 guns into California and what are the laws. Anything will help, I don't want to get to the border and be told I can't bring them into the state. Your comments and advise will be well taken and followed. I need your help. Thank you all.

Having lived there and stationed at Port Hueneme and Mugu (now Naval Base Ventura), I say leave them home. Especially leave your ammo home. It was illegal to import ammo last I checked. Please contact the local police departments and law offices specializing in that area to find out more specifics.

Having lived there and stationed at Port Hueneme and Mugu (now Naval Base Ventura), I say leave them home. Especially leave your ammo home. It was illegal to import ammo last I checked. Please contact the local police departments and law offices specializing in that area to find out more specifics.
You contact the local police to get their attention, you will be SORRY ! They will complicate your move with ammo and stuff to the place where you will give up and not take any of it. You can own ammo in California....it's just hard to buy more there. You can own legal long guns there too, as long as they aren't on their goofy lists of banned guns.

I'm being assigned to Oceanside California area for about 9 months and I'd like to bring a couple of hunting guns with me for my off hours. Maybe a shotgun for quail and a rifle for deer.

Bringing firearms into California ain't really a big deal. Worked in California on several occasions, took firearms, not including semi-automatic rifles, every trip. Don't take firearms classified as "assault weapons" under California law. Don't take magazines with a capacity of more than ten rounds. Members of the military are exempt.

From the gunowners who live and work there. With quotes from California gun law.

"Moving to California with Firearms
A person moving to California may bring his/her firearms.

The Handgun Roster does not apply to handguns moved here.

Firearms must be registered by mail within 60 days of the date when the gun is moved into the state. Beginning 2014, both long guns and hand guns are registered.

Importing what California calls an 'assault weapon' is illegal.

Generally, magazines greater than 10 rounds may not be imported. 'Parts kits' or 'disassembled large-capacity magazines' are illegal to import as of 2014.

Visiting CA is the same as Moving to CA - except a visitor need not register anything."

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Moving_to_California_with_firearms

Last edited:
Sounds like how many months does it take to seperate "moving there" from "visiting" there. I've lived places where after 6 mo you are a resident and others even require you to buy that state's plates after 90 days.Register my guns to Cali...NEVER...why would you chance it?...............................Mossie

Since 1992 i have worked in 17 US states. Took guns to New Jersey, Massachusetts, and a few other states having strict gun control. Even had a concealed carry permit in MA. Did not take any firearms to New York. Yep, three of my guns were registered in California. No one came and confiscated my guns.

Yep, Oklahoma is good on gun control. But i could not make a decent wage here because the economy sucks. Attitude seems to be "who needs an economy when you have football and Jesus". i had a choice between $10 per hour in Oklahoma or $30-$50 per hour somewhere else.

Yep, i was stopped by a state trooper in MA and was told to register my truck there. Trooper looked at the peeling paint job on my 1986 Ford Ranger pickup. "The good news is you can get a new paint job courtesy of Ford after your truck is registered here". Yep, the MA legislature had passed a law requiring all vehicles with cheap screwed up paint jobs fixed at the manufacturers expense. The Ford MA dealer sanded the old paint and primer off my truck, laid primer and a nice paint job.

Port Hueneme That place brings back memories. I just saw that the Sea Rounder is still going strong.
Yeah fromwhat I have seen California isnota place to bring out side ammo and weapons. If you can buy somethingwhen you get to where you are going.

Having just left (for good) Calif I can tell you this:
- BP guns are still legal (for now)
- Black Powder was still easy to get, depending on Where you are (even in Los Angels area)
- HOWEVER, starting in 2020; Lead Ammo is now Illegal!!!

Also, depending on where you are; finding a place shoot may be a Long Way Away!
Not like here in Nevada where one can just drive across town and down a dirt road.
However, here I CAN'T FIND BLACK POWDER and have to go through mail order!??!

Now, back in California; I know buying ammo is now a pain, I think a 4 day wait?
People try crossing the boarder to buy their ammo here but some shops will Refuse sale without a Nevada license (some will even refuse entrance to store if your license identifies you as Californian).

Also you may want to check the Fire disaster issues; other then Northern California, there never was much in 'hunting areas' especially for deer....now I am sure it is Drastically worse or soon will be once they get all the fires out (one has been burning for Four Months Now!)

Having just left (for good) Calif I can tell you this:
- BP guns are still legal (for now)
- Black Powder was still easy to get, depending on Where you are (even in Los Angels area)
- HOWEVER, starting in 2020; Lead Ammo is now Illegal!!!

Also, depending on where you are; finding a place shoot may be a Long Way Away!
Not like here in Nevada where one can just drive across town and down a dirt road.
However, here I CAN'T FIND BLACK POWDER and have to go through mail order!??!

Now, back in California; I know buying ammo is now a pain, I think a 4 day wait?
People try crossing the boarder to buy their ammo here but some shops will Refuse sale without a Nevada license (some will even refuse entrance to store if your license identifies you as Californian).

Also you may want to check the Fire disaster issues; other then Northern California, there never was much in 'hunting areas' especially for deer....now I am sure it is Drastically worse or soon will be once they get all the fires out (one has been burning for Four Months Now!)
Looks like a good place to build the WALL!

The wall would need to extend northward, inclosing Oregon and Washington....all the way to the Canadian border. Maybe the world will get lucky some day, and a good earthquake will drop those three states into the ocean !

The wall would need to extend northward, inclosing Oregon and Washington....all the way to the Canadian border. Maybe the world will get lucky some day, and a good earthquake will drop those three states into the ocean !

No doubt!! I spent my first 38 Years on the Wa Coast, it was a great place to Grow up, But it sure changed, and All For The Worse. I moved here to North Idaho about 10-11 Years ago, My only regret is that I didn’t move here Sooner. I haven’t been back to the Wa Coast since, and no plans to in this Lifetime

Latest posts

Back