'Twas a Powerbelt - American Pioneer day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
11 days without pulling the trigger. I had to go shoot!

Took some 150gr American Pioneer Super Sticks, Along with a few 295gr Aerotip Powerbelts and new primers. Winchester W209's!! They been out for almost a year and finally got new stock. These are now the most accurate primers with APP so far in my Accura.

Now again, lets remember that these Super Sticks have been giving me problems with not igniting all of the way. Shot #3 was just that, Its the lowest shot of the group.
The first 2 shots fired perfectly and as you can see, the group was great as well until the 3rd shot went, pa-bloink. Im surprised it even hit the target to be honest with you. Shots 1 & 2 were the width of my thumb center to center which measured exactly 1"

000_0655.jpg

Trying 74 grains ( Weight) American Pioneer 3f and the 270gr Powerbelt Platinum. My first shot on a cold barrel was slightly low. The next 3 on a warm barrel were perfect.

The final 3 shots measure 7/8" center to center.
000_0658.jpg

000_0657.jpg

Final adjustments

The shot closest to the bullseye was from the previous 150gr outing. The sticker popped off it. The shot to the left of it was my final adjustment shot with 90gr APP 3f. Lowest shot was also an adjuster. Most likely movement that threw them slightly to the left.
000_0659.jpg

Great fun and accurate day of shooting! Keeps getting better and better as i try new primers and such. Next up are the 338gr Platinums!

I will be trying my first PowerBelts soon.

Cabelas HAD a half off on the 45cal 300gr Platinums. I needed something to give the Accura modded breach plug a heavy weight test.

I bought 3 packs of 15 for just under $45. :D

its coming UPS and will be shipped out tomorrow. Maybe this friday or monday it will be here.

Thats a great price on the 300gr plats. I have a bunch right now, both the 300 and 223gr plats and no .45 to shoot them in! :oops:

GM54-120 said:

Cabelas HAD a half off on the 45cal 300gr Platinums. I needed something to give the Accura modded breach plug a heavy weight test.

What did you do to mod the breach plug on your Accura?

HunterB4 said:
GM54-120 said:

What did you do to mod the breach plug on your Accura?

Flash channel enlarged and Lehigh vent liner installed just below flush. I bought it from a forum member that preferred a slightly deeper vent liner placement.

Both my WinApex and Accura take the same plug. So i can see how it works in both. Its really not needed if you keep the channel and hole clean but my Apex does have more blowby than i like.

Im hoping this design will work better with a variety of primers and BH209 plus leave less of a crud ring using T7. I also have a stemmed vent liner i wanted to try with JSG.

What is a vent liner? Is it just a sleeve for the flash hole?

johnpb said:
What is a vent liner? Is it just a sleeve for the flash hole?

Yes basically.

It wears out instead of the breach plug hole wearing out and if you wish to try different hole sizes you just alter the liners. Savage uses them in their smokeless MLs because those erode very fast.

Lehigh offers these replacements and they last much longer than the Savage factory vent liner. In a normal muzzle loader these last a VERY long time.

400-201T.jpg

90gr 3f JSG 295gr Powerbelt Aerotip @ 100 yards.
2 1/4"
000_0660.jpg

245gr Powerbelt Aerotip, 150gr American Pioneer Super Stick, Winchester W209.
The highest shot was #1 on a cold barrel. 1 1/8"
000_0663.jpg

I did something different today. I used my 7/64 drill bit and ran it into the flash channel after each shot and cleaned out any primer crud that was in there. I think it actually helped keep the accuracy tight. Only a light dusting of primer fouling on the frame. Love these primers!

Seeing how accurate that 245gr PB is with the 150 SS charge, i may set my brother in law up with this load for the new mexico season. Of course it will be plugged with my INSERT IGNORE to keep it from fragmenting :lol:

the drill bit trick works! I took it out again to 100 yards with a new target on it. 150gr APP super stick, 245gr AT Powerbelt and the Winchester W209. Using the drill bit between each shot to clean out the fouling, I pulled this 3 shot group off this evening :!: This deff. made my day!
000_0669.jpg

000_0672.jpg

Who said APP and Powerbelts arent accurate? :partyman:

I almost forgot to mention that this barrel already had 12 shots through it before i shot this group.

Latest posts

Back