Scope ran out of adjustment!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrian

Reaction score
I have a Leupold Rifleman 4x12x40mm mounted on my Omega. I'm using a weaver aluminum one piece base. This gun needs about 4 more inches of adjustment UP but there is no more. Should I shim? Or get new rings? If I shim, do I shim the front or rear rings? Thanks in advance.

Shim up the rear. A scope that provides more adjustment range would also be a solution.

That scope only provides 50 MOA adjustment, A Nikon ProStaff 3x9 provides 80 MOA.

I had this happen with one of my Omegas and a Leupold 3x9x40VariXII a couple years ago.

Rather than shim the rings, I shimmed the REAR two holes of the one piece base. I know the holes are ridiculously close together on the Omega's and it seems like shimming the rear of the one piece base might not be effective, but it worked. I used aluminum from a soda can, folded over about four layers thick and trimmed to fit. I think that was about .012" but I don't remember exactly.

Good luck.

kevinbrian said:
I have a Leupold Rifleman 4x12x40mm mounted on my Omega. I'm using a weaver aluminum one piece base. This gun needs about 4 more inches of adjustment UP but there is no more. Should I shim? Or get new rings? If I shim, do I shim the front or rear rings? Thanks in advance.

The T/C's are known for this problem.

I personally would get one of the scope bases with MOA built in, I think most are in the 20 MOA range, that would best solve the problem.

Second, would be to get some Burris Signature rings with the MOA inserts.

Next option, would be to get a cylinder the same diameter as the barrel or a hair smaller and tape some sandpaper to it and remove some material on an angle from the front of the base. Just lean a little harder on the front, but measure thickness as not to remove too much.

Next, would be to shim the rear of the base up.

Last option would be to shim the base.

I hate shims, but I had to shim my Leupold bases on my Knight Disc Ext MHC, not because of the rifle, but because the bases were about .015" difference in height, and the scope I put on it.

Just a thought. Was the scope zeroed before you mounted it. By this I mean that sometimes there is more adjustment up than down. I ran in to this once.

Another option is to take off the base and build up the rear of the base area with epoxy, put the base back on and you'll never know it was done by looking. I had the same problem with the .45 Encore barrel and Leupold scope. It worked fine except once you do it the barrel needs to be heated to get the epoxy off if for whatever reason you need to remove it. 8)

RAF said:
Just a thought. Was the scope zeroed before you mounted it. By this I mean that sometimes there is more adjustment up than down. I ran in to this once.
No. It had been on a Knight Bighorn and it was sighted in for it. I Just took it off and plopped it on the Omega.
I shimmed it and have it zeroed. I will not likely do anything else to it for the time being, but use it. But on some rainy day, I my swap mounts around. That may do the trick. Or I may try shimming the base. Or using epoxy to build it up. All the ideas you guys have given me have merit and I truly appreciate them.

Latest posts

Back