Slow but satifying day in the woods.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
This morning found me in my deer blind. Temp was -3 C and it was overcast. Little or no wind so it was comfortable. As I said in the subject, it was slow. 20 minutes after sunrise I saw a large deer about 200 yds in front of me. Quick check with the binos confirmed it was a white tail buck. I filled my whitetail tag a couple of days ago so he was safe. Had I had a tag I would have shot. He appeared to be a very good 4 X 4 with larger tines than the 5 X 5 I took on Thursday. He stood there broad side for over a minute, mostly watch in my direction. He was up against some bush which is about 30 yds from a road. A vehicle came down the road and he turned his head in that direction until the vehicle passed. Then he wondered off and he was shortly followed by a doe.
I didn't see any other deer all morning, especially mule deer. I have one tag left for a doe and am not in a hurry to fill it if at all. I have plenty of meat in the freezer already. I think that as the weather gets cooler and the rut draws nearer, the bucks have started gathering does and have them somewhere else. Same thing happens this time of year in other years.
It was a pleasant morning, even with the lack of deer. I heard all kinds of coyotes yelping, almost singing in the distance. None came by me though. Saw numerous flocks of geese passing by. The highlite was when a bald eagle passed by and circled, almost overhead.
Went through a big thermos of coffee and that required a couple of trips out of my blind to stretch my legs and you know...... :) On one of those excursions decided to take some pictures and video. The first is a picture of the ground blind I built and have used successfully for the past couple seasons.

Picture244.jpg

I then took a panaramic video of the area I can see. I covers about 300 degrees

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v481/ ... ure243.flv

All in all it was a good morning, IMO. Have 10 more days of muzzleloading season left. Then have a 2 week wait before I can go out again with rifle to fill my mulie doe tag. Will be back out at least 2 times next week.

That is some real nice looking area where you hunt. Those are the kind of blinds they like to build around where I live so they can watch specific areas of the woods.

Dear RAF,

You need to put a walk way on the back of your box blind to a privy and a satelite dish on top to keep you.. well intertained.

Choc-dog

With a satelite dish and a small TV, I could watch some hunting shows while I wait :D . Don't want a privy out there though. The catus need to be watered once in a while :)

Back