Bullet Selection ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossie

Reaction score
I have a RMC flintlock that is 1/28" twist. This rifle can use only Black powder and I have been using 2f Goex. What would be my best choice of saboted bullets for whitetail deer with shots out to 120 yards maximum. I have tried the 250 and 300 grain Hornady xtp's and they shoot pretty good but I am wondering which would be a better choice considering the lower velocity of Black powder. I would be shooting 100 grains of 2f. What do you think 250 or 300? What are your opinions on 3f in this 50 caliber? Would an even lighter bullet be a better choice?

In my Long Range Hunter barrel which is a 1:28 twist, one of the favorite loads is a 10mm XTP in a blue MMP sabot with 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f under it. If your rifle likes the Goex, try kicking the load up to even 120 grains. I would think that RMC with a Green Mountain Barrel should be more then able to handle that kind of powder charge.

The 250 grain Shockwaves should work well also. These might be something to give a try...

Thanks for the tip Cayuga but I just found out that Pennsylvania flintlock only season requires at least a .44 projectile. I like to use my deer hunting load for all shooting so I guess the .40 caliber bullets are out.

Have you ever shot the 300 grain Hornady .458 diameter Hollow Point. They are somewhat like an XTP but the nose of the hollow point is different. I really do not know how to explain it. I guess a picture would do better. I shoot them out of a Knight (MMP) orange sabot in a lot of my inlines and my long range hunter. This bullet is also used for elk I was told by another muzzleloader shooter. With the re-enforced nose on it, I can see why it might work, but I'd rather shoot a Barnes Expander in that case.

That's an interesting bullet...

Once of the other favorites are the .430 XTP in the green sabots. I like to shoot them with only 85 grains of powder. The accuracy is very good.

Back