Bonded Shockwaves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257ROBT

Reaction score
Can someone tell me about the bonded shockwaves. I looked through the pages and couldn't find anything. I am really wondering if they are better for deer than the regular shockwaves. One of our stores has bonded 250 grainers and I thought about trying them but wasn't sure.

Thanks

If the conventional shockwaves shoot well for you, I really would not see the need for the bonded when hunting deer. Before the bonded shockwaves came along, people were doing just fine with regular shockwaves taking out deer, elk, moose, bear, and anything else that got in their way. My understanding is a demand was made for a bullet that would hold together better on the thicker skinned animals like moose and elk. The bonded was then born.

For deer, the standard shockwave placed in the right place will make them freezer food. I really see no reason to spend the extra money for the bonded, unless of course they shot better. My concern on a thin skinned animal is that the bonded point would restrict the expansion of the bullet which was the original intent and purpose of the shockwave.

I go along with what cayuga said. I've always use the 250 SST and had great success. I bought some bonded 250 SW's last week and tried them out for the first time the past Thursday. Shot a nice buck and dropped him in his tracks. What impressed me was that the bullet stayed together better than the SST. I found the slug on the opposite side just under the hide. It had mushroomed to twice it's diameter and the lead was still attached to the jacket. It looked good.
As far as the difference between the bonded and original I don't know about the process but think name tells it all. The lead is bonded to the jacket.

I shoot both. The regular 250s for deer and the bonded for hogs. The hogs have a tougher skin and the bullet holds up well. I shot a doe at 5 yds last year and the regular bullet performed well as she dropped in her tracks. The new Shockwaves that come with the yellow sabot are thin walled and have two petals when ejected. I hear these are great with Omegas and tight bores. I use the regular 250s with the black sabots which have four petals and have no problem in my 50 cal when loading. You can buy them by a 30 pack at Cabelas for the same price as 15 at Bass Pro. If you buy Hornady's SST they are the same bullet as I have shot both with exactly the same results on where it impacts. They are great bullets, buy em. I think I got mine for $15 for 15 bullets in the bonded series. Expensive but worth it when the time of truth presents itself. Good luck and let us know how they shoot for you.

Back