LONGEST SHOT YET!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Took my savage out for the first time and shoot 2 does with it.

Took my furtherest deer to date with an ML. She was just over 150 yards. Was very pleased with the results.

elkstalkr said:
Took my savage out for the first time and shoot 2 does with it.

Took my furtherest deer to date with an ML. She was just over 150 yards. Was very pleased with the results.
Congratulations! Now, what was the load,and where are the pics Man???

Congrats on the deer and it will shoot a lot farther than that :wink:

well unfortunately I didn't take any pics. Usually don't of my does or I would have deer pics running out my ears, literally.

We hunted a special season at our local NWR. 5 of us shot 9 does in 1 1/2 days hunting. Needless to say they have small population problem there. :)

I was shooting 5744 and 300 grain hornady xtp's. Can't remember how many grains my scoop puts in. 32??? Wow, thats awful, I should know that.

Shot my record shot this year also. 146 yards. Load used was 62g N120 300g Xtp with a Hph 12. I am zeroed at 100yds so I used a 2" hold over. The shot turned her 90 degrees and drop her in her tracks. Baseball size hole in and golf ball out. Shot three does so far and have not had to track any yet.

Congrats on the shot elkstalkr!

Trigger said:
Load used was 62g N120 300g Xtp with a Hph 12. Shot three does so far and have not had to track any yet.

Thats what i like to hear. XTP'S might just be the best bullet for Deer size game under 200yds.

Nice shooting, Elkstalkr!

I finished off my early muzzleloader season with my fourth deer last night. I stepped off the shot at 165 yards, my personal longest. It was a small button buck, double lunged him. He kicked up his heals and managed to sprint 50 yards. When field dressing him, I noticed that a piece of rib must have tore the diaphragm and ripped the stomach (DANG). Either that or the bullet fragged. He has two holes through the ribs (I'll take a pic when I butcher today) so it wasn't the angle/shot placement.

I started the day by shooting two does at 60 yards. Double lunged the first one, again had damage behind the diaphragm. She had a torn liver as well, dropped on the spot. The second doe was slightly quartering away, in the rib cage, out the far shoulder. She ran 50 yards before piling up. She had the lower half of her heart shot off.

Last Sunday I shot a 2.5 yr old nine point. I had trail cam photos of him from this year (think I might have posted pics on this website of him once, another forum). He was right at 150 yards. I really need to buy a laser range finder. That filled my only antlered tag, so of course I see a BRUISER on Tuesday. Murphys law.

The load? Get ready for a collective groan. :lol: HPH12, Hornady 250 grain XTP, Federal primers and 40 grains of IMR 4227. I have 5744 and vv120, just haven't worked up a load with them yet and the 4227 obviously shoots in my gun. It hits 3 inches high at 100 yards. The hph12s are really tight which helps give me confidence in ignition. I have never had a misfire with this powder (there, that should have jinxed me). Back to bow season until shotgun season, where the ML10II will get to come out of the safe again. :D

Sorry for the hijack, elkstalkr. Congrats on the does.

EDIT: I put a post/pics in the muzzleloader success area.

Back