triple 7 pellet weight.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
How much are triple 7 pellets suppose to weigh? I weighed the pellets in the box I'm currently using and I'm getting 26.9-29.3 grains. I settled on 55 grains being the ideal two pellet load weight and sorted them out within .5 grains. I hope this helps with some of the accuracy issues I'm running into lately. :(

Accuracy issues??

Doegirl,

You have done a great deal of experimenting with your Encore rifle and we all have read many of your posts and I frankly respect you for your efforts. I can remember you trading back to Gander Mountain the CVA for the your present Encore. By the way the new Pro-Hunter stocks are 1"
shorter than the older style T/C stocks. The newer shorter length may work for you. :D :D

With just a .6 varience in actual weighed charges in form 26.3 to 26.9
in my opinion is quite good for mass manufacuring. I know you prefer pellets but you are experimenting to remove variables to improve your accuracy. Good for you. Ignition is a more dominate variable than charge weights of powder... the bench rest shooters have proved this. Play with the primers or change to an alternate ignition system. I use a 22 hornet
breech plug in my Encore. I had Gander Mountain drill them out for me. 8)

I have found on several Encore's that I have shot that when I had 2 bullets touching on target at 100 yards if I DOUBLE spit patch from shot 2 to shot 3 and used 2 dry patches more often that not the 3rd shot touched the first 2 as well. The fouling just builds up and no 2 barrels are alike.

We get the results we want by the little things we do in our rifles but doing them one at a time. :roll:

Choc-dog

How much are triple 7 pellets suppose to weigh?

I just weighed 10 out of a box...low of 30.5 and a high of 31.5 with an average weight of 30.9gr. Strange that yours weigh THAT much less than mine do. Using YOUR data a two pellet load could weigh as much as 58.6gr or a little as 53.8gr....a 4.8 grain difference. In reality..that's not THAT much difference..but I do hope it helps! :D

I hope this helps with some of the accuracy issues I'm running into lately.

What kind of accuracy problems are you running into? I forgot what bullets you are using....

Yeah, like choc-dog mentioned, my encore likes a pristine clean barrel with each shot. As for accuracy issues, I don't know if I'm having that. I'm just trying to solve the mysterious problem of my gun's POI lowering when I started a new box of pellets.

POI issues.

Is your front sling swivel stud digging into the front bags preventing the rifle from free recoiling. For range work I generally remove the studs.

Or..could you be putting to much down pressure with you hand on the front fore-arm to steady the rifle???

Sometimes it's the little things that can make you scratch your head. :wink:

Choc-dog

Black powder loads are calculated by VOLUME and not by weight. Grains are such an infantismally small unit of weight that humidity from having just picked them up could possibly vary the weight. That being said, I imagine that there is a tolerance as to haw many microns or atoms are compressed into each pellet.
I would guess that the varience would not affect the ballistics of the load.

I use pyrodex pellets. I wieghed 20 of them and got between 27.1 and 28.3. I am fairly new to muzzle loading so please excuse my question if it sounds stupid. I thought a 50 grain pellet was supposed to weigh 50 grains???? Although I just read the reply before this one that states, black powder is measured by volume and not weight. Again excuse my question but shouldnt identical volume amounts weigh the same.
Frank

I don't think the "weight" is all that important. Black Powder,and the Substitutes are weighed by "volume". I went to Frendship a few years ago,and watched the matches. Not one shooter was using Pellets,or as a matter of fact,not even pre measured charges. What I "did see" was very consistant loading routines. If they shook the powder into the measure,they shook it the same number of times each load,or if the tapped it,it was done the same number of times. Doing everything the "same" every time will get you more accuracy,than everything else. One of the biggest accuracy tips is, use the same pressure seating the bullet every time. Boy could them guy's shoot. :D

Back