.58 caliber Green Mountian Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
58gmbjpg-1.jpg

Today I wanted to have some fun. Also I wanted to practice my trigger control. The target was at 34 yards and that was good enough for me. So I loaded a simple load of 110 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f black powder, a moosemilk pillow tick patch I cut at the muzzle, and a Speer .570 roundball.

My first shot hit high, so I adjusted my POA and just kept shooting. No swabbing was done. This is about the average range I encounter when I hunt my property. And I guarantee, that if that ball hit a deer, it would sure know it.

I was having fun, but I want to thank all of you for your trigger suggestions, and I also made sure the target was as level as it could be. I think that is a good group, and it helped me to slow down and take some more time addressing the rifle.

This would be a great rifle for anyone that has to shoot all lead projectiles, and wants to hunt anything in North America. There is a lot of power in this 284 grain ball.

So....that's what the group looked like.
That is a great group, and that gun can sure blow a hole!

Sure to kill any bear that takes another dump in your yard! :lol:

Nice shootin...

my digital camera might have went south, but my scanner still works.

Yes that rifle does shoot some big holes. And it shot a pretty good group. I like the fact I don't have to swab after easy shot. I am lazy. But, I have a lot of rifles to test before hunting season.

Man, that's a nice group Cayugad. I love the .58 ball shooters and think they are the most fun round ball guns around. That Green Mountain barrel you have can't be beat. I've been looking for one for my Renegade for a year now. GM keeps saying production will begin again "in a few months".

With all the talk of carbines as of late, I decided to shoot one of them today. I have way too many of them. So the problem was to decided which ones to shoot. I knew the short barrel Knights and Whites would shoot fine, so I picked out a CVA Tracker Carbine with a 21 inch barrel.

My chart said the barrel is a 1-32 twist. I got the rifle a long time ago, and have never shot it. I have some other traditional carbines, but this has the shortest barrel. So I had to guess at what it would shoot.

I took some REAL conicals, Maxiball, 302 grain Buffalo Bullet Sabots, 240 grain T/C Cheap Shots, and some 460 Bull Shop conicals. With this short barrel I knew it would not handle a large powder charge, so I started at 80 grains of powder.

It sprayed the REAL conicals all over the place at 25 yards. I tried them with 60-85 grains of powder. I was not swabbing between shots, but they loaded easy. Also I was using 3f Graf's black powder.

The 302 Buffalo Bullet Sabots at 25 yards shot about a three inch group. That was unacceptable to me. They hit low and right for some reason.

The BullShop conicals shot very low, but actually shot about a two inch group. With 70 grains, it had a good recoil lets just say.

The 240 grain Cheap Shots did pretty good actually. I shot them with 70 grains of powder and they shot about a inch and a half group. But I just could not get a good hole group going.

The maxiball spread out. And were kind of hard to load.

Finally I broke out roundball. I loaded 60 grains of powder and BINGO!!! It really started to shoot a good group. So I kicked it up to 70 grains and it was still holding pretty good. Not one hole, but the best of all the projectiles tested so far. Lets just say with roundball I would have hunted from one of my stands.

Sometimes just shooting them is half the fun. I burnt off a lot of powder today...

.58 green mountain

I have a GM in .54 - 1 in 70 - just over an inch at 72 yards - need to post a pic - although it's wearing a Leupold 4x33 and was hang firing a bit - these GM barrels are unreal!!!

Latest posts

Back