Anyone Have Knowledge About Nosler Accubond Bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I bought some Accubond bullets that are "seconds". If they are accurate in my .25-06, .280. and 7-08, I want to use them for hunting. Currently, I use Nosler Partitions for hunting and I'm happy with them. These seconds are cheaper than Partitions and if they work well, I can save some money.

Opinions are welcome.

I've used in our 25-06  , Hornady BTSP 117gr Interlock bullets and have had good results ,The bullet expands great with the base intact , The bullet has harvested deer and elk , been very happy with it ,
My 300 win mag I use Hornady BTSP 180gr Interlock , with the same results ,,

I've had good luck with the Nosler AccuBond Long Range out of my 7mm. If you're able to get the seconds, I've found that the weight can be drastically different, so just weigh the bullets and group them together and you should be good to go. I compared them to the Hornady SST and liked these a lot more. I have yet to try the ELD-X though.

I loaded up 9 shells with the 110 gr Accubonds for my .25-06. I didn't pre-weigh them however. The results were so-so with the tightest 3-shot group being 1" @ 100 yards. That was with 51.0 grs. of H4831SC. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll weigh them out from now on.

I tried them in a Rem 700 .270 I had. I was using Partitions before trying the Accubond. At long range the Accubond was a little more accurate. I don't hunt long range though. I was interested in terminal performance.

So, I called up Nosler and asked them what would be a better choice for elk. He didn't even hesitate and said the Partition. That settled that decision.

I weighed the bullets last night. The majority of the "110" grain bullets weighed 109.8 or 109.9 grs. Three weighed 109.7 and nine weighed 110.0 grs.

I'm not sure why these bullets were seconds since they look pristine. I think that 0.1 grains +/- would be acceptable but 0.2 and 0.3 grs. underweight is unacceptable. It puzzles me that there would be any 110.0 gr. bullets in there at all if they were graded by weight.  :scratch:

Bear Claw said:
I tried them in a Rem 700 .270 I had. I was using Partitions before trying the Accubond. At long range the Accubond was a little more accurate. I don't hunt long range though. I was interested in terminal performance.

So, I called up Nosler and asked them what would be a better choice for elk. He didn't even hesitate and said the Partition. That settled that decision.
I have never been unhappy with the performance of any Nosler Partition bullet. I have been using them since the mid-70s and have never lost an animal due to bullet failure. Once, I thought the bullet had mushroomed too soon when the deer I shot had an entrance hole the size of a lemon. But I looked at the line the bullet followed on the way to the deer and found a shredded grape vine about 6 feet in front of the deer. The bullet hit the vine which caused it to expand prematurely.

I have only killed two elk, both at 350 yards+. Both dropped with one shot from the 140 gr. Partition that I used. I used that same combo of 7mm Mauser and 140 gr. Partition to take 13 animals in Africa over 35 years ago. It is a great bullet but expensive.

Yes, I used the Partition in a 30-30 for elk and was never disappointed. The only reason I tried the Accubond in the .270 was that the shop was out of Partitions.

I lived about 2 miles from Nosler in Bend, OR and bought 2nds from them all the time and never had a failure. 270, 308 and 7mm-08. Nosler was the only one making 160 g for 270 and I took several deer and elk with them (all partitions)
Mike

I have used both the Accubond and the Partition and IMO if you plan on shooting at the longer ranges or hunting only thin skinned game get the Accubond. If short range (200 yards and under) and penetration on heavy game is your goal then go with the Partition.
On a side note, every rifle I used Partitions in gave me less than optimal accuracy. But both Accubonds and Ballistic Tips gave great accuracy.  Every deer, both whitetail and muley, and every antelope I shot was with a .270 win and 130 Ballistic Tips. All but on dropped where it stood from literally point blank to over 400 yards.

I have used the Accubond since they came out in 7mm.  I used to use the Partitions. I load 7mm Rem Mag with the 160 gr Accubond over 60 grain IMR4350.  It is the most accurate load in two different same caliber rifles. I have taken all kinds of game including elk and black bear in the US and larger plains game in South Africa with great performance.

Nosler Accubonds are my “Go To” Favorite bullet for Centerfire Big Game, I use them in 6.5, 7mm-08, and .308, You ever seen them BIG Swimming pools that look Pot Belly looking? We had the Top ring go bad on one years ago, and instead of Keeping it over another year we decided to Get rid of it, This thing was HUGE, 18ft across! I decided what a PERFECT Bullet trap to test a Few! I Shot Several bullets through the Side of that big pool, figuring it would “Blow Out” 7MM Rem Mag with 160 Nosler Accubonds, .500 S&W Magnum with 500 Grain Hornady XTPs, Both Just Poked perfect holes in the Side, A 12 Gauge on the other hand did it in with 1 shot :D I collected the Bullets afterward, The Nosler Accubond bullets could Easily have made the Cover of a Magazine, They mushroomed back about Halfway, Just a perfect uniform Ball. I have killed several Deer with them, Along with at least 1 Elk, I have never Recovered 1 From Game. They are darn Good bullets in my opinion :ttups:

I have a nephew that really likes them in his 1000 yard rifle, 6.5 Creedmore.  Everything you read is usually the manufactures or one of their people, don't know who to believe other than my nephew.

AccuBond® Bullet Information
Through an exclusive bonding process that eliminates voids in the bullet core, AccuBond® couples Nosler's proven copper-alloy jacket with its special lead-alloy core. The result is a bullet that flies true, penetrates deep and retains its weight, without causing extensive barrel fouling. The unique white polymer tip resists deforming and initiates expansion on impact. Nosler's Solid Base® at the rear of the bullet acts as a platform for large diameter mushrooms.

AccuBond-Section-Bullet-points.jpg
1. Unique White Polymer Tip - Assures accuracy, smooth chambering and eliminates tip damage during recoil. 
2. Tapered Copper-Alloy Jacket - Lethal penetration and uniform expansion with maximum weight-retention and minimal barrel fouling.
3. Lead-Alloy Core - Engineered for balanced expansion.
4. Proprietary Bonding Process - Eliminates all possibility of component separation.
[font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif]5. Boat-Tail Design - [/font]Boat tail configuration combines with the streamlined polymer tip for long-range performance and for easier loading.

OldMtnMan said:
I was interested in terminal performance. So, I called up Nosler and asked them what would be a better choice for elk. He didn't even hesitate and said the Partition. That settled that decision.
I cannot imagine Nosler Making such a Swift over the Phone decision?? Their Accubond is one of there VERY BEST Big Game Bullets, and that is according to Nosler themselves!! Both are Excellent/Superb Big Game Bullets, Old Technology vs New

The Nosler Partitions have Always been known to Seperate, in fact i have yet to See one not separate? My Dad has used them for at least 30 years, and has killed Many Bull Elk with them (12-15) Every 1 of them Recovered had seperated. Not a Big Deal, You got to remember the Partitions were Before Bonded Technology, The Front Half will Seperate from the Base, The Base/Core of the Partition Will Hold together indefinitely. The Accubond on the other Hand will Not Seperate. 

Here is another Testament to the Nosler Accubond’s Durability, I use to own a .375 Remington Ultra Magnum, I shot a Lot of 260 Grain Nosler Accubond bullets in it right at 3,000 Fps, I decided to Capture one in a Trap of some sort so i could see how well they held up? I had a Pile of Douglas Fir Firewood in Rounds in my Yard (My old home on the Wa Coast) I rolled a Big piece of that Wood out and adjusted it to get the Angle Right so i could shoot right in the Cut end (going with the Grain) That block measured 21-22 inches long, The 260 Grain Accubond plowed COMPLETELY through that Solid block of Fir Firewood, and was found 5-6” deep in the Sand. That Bullet would Also have made the Cover of a Magazine, BIG Beautiful Mushroom Ball. Nosler Accubonds are a SOLID Performer!

The only Accubond bullet i have experience with is the 250 grain 9.3mm. Reloaded that bullet for my 9.3x62 mm. Planned to use it for elk hunting. Driven by IMR 4895 powder, the bullet gives a velocity of just over 2,500 fps when fired from my Ruger <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a>. At 225 yards the 3 five shot groups measured just over 2 inches. Recently a 300 pound plus hog bang flopped with that bullet.

i never liked Partition bullets, they never gave me the accuracy other bullets did. Nosler is given great credit for developing the Partition bullet. Nosler copied the German RWS H-Mantel bullet that was developed in the early 1900s.

https://rws-munition.de/en/rws-hunting-area/rws-hunting-ammunition/rws-centerfire-rifle-cartridges-for-hunters.html

I have used the seconds for many years with good results.    The ones I have just seemed to have color/cosmetic issues only.    Otherwise fine and shot well and performed well on deer.

I have been using Nosler seconds for many years in the Ballistic Tips and Accubonds when they came out. I just had a new pistol barrel made in .257JDJ and started using the 110grn Accubonds it it. Very accurate. I shoot the Accubonds in my .243 Encore pistol and rifle, my 280 Encore rifle, my 6.5 JDJ, Contender, in my Xp100's in 7-08, .284, and 300 SAUM. I'm thinking about trying the 70 grain Accubond in my 222 Rem Mag XP100 for deer. They have never failed me. I used to weigh them but after finding them +/_ .1 grain myself in many bags of them and then I stopped. I was told they mostly were discolored after the several washing vats they go through before packaging. The Ballistic Tips are perfect for my pistols due to a little lower velocities. Especially my 309JDJ. That is the only bullet I have used in it since it was made.

There are a few boxes of Nosler .25 cal bullets in my shop. They are the 100 grain, 115 grn and 120 grn bullets. The first two weights are partitions and ballistic tips; the 120s are the solid base boat-tail. I have yet to load any of them for my .250/3000s. I hope to do that sooner than later.

Probably the best bullet for deer that I've ever loaded in the .250 is the Winchester Silver Tip. Many years ago I got a deal on a few boxes of 100 grain .25 cal Silver Tips at the LGS. While their accuracy didn't measure up to the Hornady, Speer and Sierras, they were spectacular on whitetails. Recovered bullets showed perfect mushrooms like you see in some of the adds; and I do mean perfect. Wish I could find some more.

I haven’t found anything I like better than Partitions. Save $ buying seconds, stock over runs etc from Shooters Pro Shop.

Latest posts

Back