your cleaning method with BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askoop

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone using BH209 is cleaning. I see in the sticky that Hoppes #9 is so far the preferred solvent, just wondering on your actual procedures.

Just cleaned both of my muzzleloaders today and used the Hoppes No.9 solvent. Cleaned it up great. I'm guessing that my Remington had probably 12 or so shots through it with no swabbing between. After only running the first patch through it the barrel looked great and cleaned up almost all the residue.

I have tried a number of solvents, the best were alcohol, Hoppes#9 and Montana X Cowboy.
What I ended up using because I like how well it cleans and the fact that it dries fast is a 50/50 mix of alcohol and Hoppes #9.
Lee

I use Hoppes #9 also. Every so often I'll use some Hoppes Bench Rest Copper Cleaner just to give the bore a harsh, deep cleaning. Otherwise just #9.

:D a friend of mine told me try wd-40 and it works great.I don't know if it is the right thing to use but So far so good.

cleaning

#9 is what I have been using. I am now out so I will order the Montana next.

i apply a fairly wet loose patch of #9 both sides,dry patch with a tight fit then wet patch again,pull the breech plug and drill out the flash channel and soak the plug in #9 while i clean the breech end of the barrel and the action.dry patch the barrel and breech,use a brush and welding tip cleaner on the flash channel and hole of the plug and wrap that with a thin layer of teflon tape and put a little oil on the tape.oil patch the bore then reinstall plug.i then use my oiled patch to wipe down the outside and i'm done......karl

I've used Hopps #9 and Montanna Extreme Cowboy Blend, both work fine. I've just started to use Eezox on my centerfire rifle and since it works so well, may end up just using it on everything.

With BH209, it seems I spend easily half my cleaning time on the breech plug. Whether I use CCI209Ms or Rem STS primers, I get a fair amount of carbon soot on the plug. Someone recommended to use Windex All Surface Cleaner (with vineger) to soak the plug. It seems to work a bit better at dissolving the carbon build-up and is much cheaper than anything else I've tried.

I use #9 and remove the breach plug. I let is soak wile cleaning the barrel and action. Pushing the patch all the way thru and removing it only requires about 2 patches to get out most of it. Leaving the BP in and pulling the dirty patch in and out required more.

I can literally clean the entire barrel with 4- 5 patches at most without the BP in the gun. It pushes all the residue out VERY well and then i use about 1-3 patches to remove and leftover #9.

By the 2nd dry patch they are 99% spotless.

When i run out im going to try the Montana Cowboy blend and the new bore conditioner.

BTW ive also stopped using RemOil in the barrel. Its good stuff but i do have some concerns about Teflon in a ML barrel....maybe its just a me thing.

SteveH said:
I've used Hopps #9 and Montanna Extreme Cowboy Blend, both work fine. I've just started to use Eezox on my centerfire rifle and since it works so well, may end up just using it on everything.

With BH209, it seems I spend easily half my cleaning time on the breech plug. Whether I use CCI209Ms or Rem STS primers, I get a fair amount of carbon soot on the plug. Someone recommended to use Windex All Surface Cleaner (with vineger) to soak the plug. It seems to work a bit better at dissolving the carbon build-up and is much cheaper than anything else I've tried.
I use Hoppies as well,but I like the sound of this Windx APC w/vineger. Have you tried this in the bore?If it dissolves primer carbon it may be a good inexpensive bore cleaner as well.

fisher1 said:
I use Hoppies as well,but I like the sound of this Windx APC w/vineger. Have you tried this in the bore?If it dissolves primer carbon it may be a good inexpensive bore cleaner as well.

Do a search for "vinegAr" (I spelled it wrong above) and you will get a lot of posts. Plenty use it for the bore and claim great results. Me, I'm a little nervous about using any product with vinegar in the bore, especially if your barrel is not stainless. Vinegar is corrosive. If using it in the bore, I would make real sure that none is left in after cleaning.

That's why I'm liking the idea of the Eezox. It's one of those all-in-one cleaner/lube/protectants. Used sparingly, it leaves a very dry finish that I am hoping would not be a detriment to BP.

I have been using Hoppes Elite, no odor
I pull and soak the plug in winded multi surface
I have 6 bp's so I just soak the dirty one and put in a clean one
after the bore is clean and dry I use hoppes select oil
I'll have to give the bench rest a try

fisher1 said:

Don't use this in your bore. It works great on the breech plug. Don't use it in your bore, unless you want to be sad when you find rusting issues. When using BH209 don't use any common bore cleaners intended for black powder. Use any bore cleaners intended for use with smokeless powder. Hoppes is common, and it works.

saxman1 said:
I have been using Hoppes Elite, no odor

Sax, No odor? My lifes shooting memories are built around that odor...that's just wrong :shock: :wink:

SAXMAN,

How is the Hoppe's Elite cleaner working for you. I have a bunch of it but haven't tried it yet with BH209. Does it clean as good as the #9?

that seems way too easy! just a few patches and its really clean? BH209 sounds too good to be true sometimes, I think I'll have to go on a mission to find it around here and try it out.

Hulions said:
SAXMAN,

How is the Hoppe's Elite cleaner working for you. I have a bunch of it but haven't tried it yet with BH209. Does it clean as good as the #9?

I believe it's working good
mine is in a spray bottle and easy to controll the amount
I usually spray three patches and run each patch about five times each that's about it for that part

I have heard good things about Esocks or Ezok or someting like that

Montana Extreme cowboy 3 patched than a dry follow with essox oil./

ronlaughlin said:
fisher1 said:

Don't use this in your bore. It works great on the breech plug. Don't use it in your bore, unless you want to be sad when you find rusting issues. When using BH209 don't use any common bore cleaners intended for black powder. Use any bore cleaners intended for use with smokeless powder. Hoppes is common, and it works.

This morning i was examining a some modified breech plugs that i had sitting on the shelf, and was surprised to find one of them showed some corrosion:

P2180309.JPG

How this happened, is i soaked it in the Windex All Purpose Cleaner, which has vinegar in it, and then cleaned it up, but then decided not to install it in the rifle. A few days later now, i was comparing the various modified breech plugs and 'saw' the rust.

I didn't much care for this, so, this morning, i tried cleaning a breech plug using Montana X-treme Bore Solvent, and it works about as well as the Windex does. I'll not use the windex any more, and suggest no one else does either.

Latest posts

Back