Best process for consistant seating pressure - BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I've seen alot of posts that indicate the need for considerable pressure when seating the sabot when using BH209. Due to a previous experience, I'm not one to be pounding the ramrod down onto the bullet tip to get "seating pressure".

However, what about tamping the powder charge real well first and then seat the sabot onto the charge? I'll probably be going back to the all lead polymer tipped Dead Center bullets by PR - they have a starter that is polymer based as well but I don't know what "extreme seating pressure" will do to the lead ogive section. I have a Hornady brass seater that I use for the SST sabots but I don't know what marks it would make on the copper jacketed nose either.

I just bought a SpinJag loader that seems to make sense in allowing the sabot to follow the rifling without any resistance to turning but I'm really concerned about applying any significant pressure thereby damaging the front section of an aerodynamic projectile!

I may do some tests by loading sabots without any powder, then pull the breech and push them back out to see the affect on the nose - we'll see.

Seating

After I pour in the BH209 I seat the projectile firmly and then give one sharp tap with the palm of my hand on the ramrod. Seems to work for me as I get excellent accuracy. I also have a jag made for spiral tipped bullets that I use.

I assume the projectile's nose and the skirt under the sabot aren't compromised?

I have done some testing on wad pressure, if less than 60 poundsis applied then the results are not consistant with 6o pounds my results stablized and my groups were very good.
The jag should fit the bullet well enough that you never damage the nose of the bullet.
Any type of pounding metod will consistantly give poor results, the best results I have obtained so far was with a range rod that had a spin type handle and a big strong stop and seating sabotbullet in one stroke.
Lee

i also have a spin type handle and a spin jag very usefull for loading the bullet and sabot down the barrel ..i also marked my rod and when i push the load down i stop on the mark that i made on the rod. .i also don't believe in hammering the load down the barrel ..

No pounding necessary.... The BEST way IMO is to seat the bullet about half-way down the barrel in movement ONE then seat it on top of the powder... After a while you'll be pretty consistent and it will be second nature... Just a firm seat is what you need....

I sort of do what most do then, get the bullet started and send it home in one stroke. Not sure if it's 60# or not, maybe I could build a 4' arbor press with a gauge on top.

i always use a short starter no matter what i'm loading.when i use blackhorn i load the same,once the bullet's on the powder i really lean on my bone handled range rod.after reading Lee's post's on seating pressure i set my gun on a bath scale,put in the range rod and leaned into it like i was loading,looks like i'm using 90lbs. pressure.works for me.....karl

K anything over 60# worked well as long as it was consistent and did not crush the powder especially with pellets. Lee

i gave up on pellets the first year i started,my heavy leaning was blackhorn specific.speaking of powder prices,the man i bought my flinter from sold me an unopened jug of blackhorn for $10!!!i wish he had 20 more.........karl

APP, JSG and Pinnacle powders require a tight fitting sabot seated very hard on the powder for best accuracy. One way to do this is to put a furniture knob or golf ball on the end of the ramrod and apply pressure with both hands until the powder is felt to compress.

I use a short starter then use the hole in the ball of the starter on the rod and seat in one motion in the field.
I have a range rod for the range.
One of the senior members (not age) came up with a rod stop for consistant seating pressure.Maybe he will share.

saxman1 said:
I use a short starter then use the hole in the ball of the starter on the rod and seat in one motion in the field.
I have a range rod for the range but still use the short starter and seat in one motion.
One of the senior members (not age) came up with a rod stop for consistant seating pressure.Maybe he will share.

Lee 9 said:
K anything over 60# worked well as long as it was consistent and did not crush the powder especially with pellets. Lee

Thats what seems to be the most common amount (60lbs+/-) im finding in test reviews ect. I use a SST or CVA PB starter then a range rod and then one smooth motion.

Im probably applying that much pressure with BH209 and JSG 3FG and it seems to work. After awhile you can "feel the powder". You never quite get this with pellets. I always wanted to try a mix of pellets topped with a little loose or reversed.

It would probably work ok as a little filler on the smaller APP square sticks. :D :p

Latest posts

Back