Any Thompson Center Experts out there?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this lock from eBay. It was listed as a T/C. I’ve tried it in both a Renegade and Hawken and it won’t fit the mortise on either (too long).

I thought maybe it was an Investarms as I heard they copied T/C but the engraving doesn’t match. The sear lever is thicker and the top of the inside of the lock plate is different.

The top lock is the one in question. The bottom is a confirmed T/C. Both are set at half-cock.

If this is indeed for a T/C, which model might it fit? TIA!

Attachments

• GEDC3151.JPG
    GEDC3151.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • GEDC3154.JPG
    GEDC3154.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
I would definitely say you have gotten the wrong lock for your tc's. The locks for Hawkens and Renegades should interchange, but the only other locks they produced are smaller ones for their more compact models. I think if it were me, I would be having some contact with the person that listed it as a TC lock.

check if it is a TC Cherokee or Senica

It's bigger, almost the same size as the Hawken and Renegade lock just a little longer. I tried the T/C SAE lock bolt and it fit so it's definitely Thompson Center. I just don't know what model it went to or why they changed it. If I knew what model, I'd relist it but I don't want someone else having the same problem I am. Thanks!

I would definitely say you have gotten the wrong lock for your tc's. The locks for Hawkens and Renegades should interchange, but the only other locks they produced are smaller ones for their more compact models. I think if it were me, I would be having some contact with the person that listed it as a TC lock.

I bought it quite a while ago so that's not an option. This week was the first time I've tried it. The T/C SAE lock bolt fits so it's definately Thompson Center. Thanks!

From your pictures it looks like to me you have an older Hawken or Renegade lock in the top picture with the "high hammer spur".
The bottom looks like their later one where they rolled the hammer and spur back a bit.
I do not know whether they are different other than that. If that's what you have then it sounds like they do have other differences.
I think either the older and newer style locks for Hawken and Renegades have some other differences, or BP Addict is correct and your replacement lock is for a smaller Cherokee or Seneca.
Are you putting together another rifle or are you trying to replace your lock due to broken internal parts? If you have a broken sear or something, you should try The Gunworks Muzzleloading Emporium in Oregon. They bought out TC's parts when TC quit making side locks. The tip of the sear on my Renegade broke a couple years ago and The Gunworks was the only place I found that had parts.

Last edited:
IT looks like the TC Seneca rifle lock.

Agreed - Seneca lock.

buffani.gif

in-ge-nu-i-ty.jpg

Latest posts

Back